ECHOING SOUND COMING FROM THE KHORN

RAPTORMAN

I was listening to some records and all of a sudden I hear this whooing sound coming from the left Khorn. I stop the turntable right away and put the preamp on mute--the sound was still there. It was a weird sound almost like an echo. After a few seconds it went away. I notice when I tap on my CAT SL1 preamp the tapping sound is coming right out of the left speaker. 6.gif When I turn off the amp or put on standby the tapping sound is not there anymore when I tap on the preamp. The sound is only on the left Channel. What is going on here?/HELP..HELP..HELP.. 8.gif

Start with the preamp and switch tubes channel to channel and see if it follows a particular tube. If nothing shows itself as the culprit there you can repeat it on the amp or better yet just run the amp with a preamp off if the channel is quiet with the preamp off that pretty much rules anything on the amp being the source of your noise.

Craig

In any amp I've seen, the phono stage is just an additional pre amp, plus equalization, before the line stage. So you're always listening to the line stage too.

It has been some time since I've had an amp problem or played with them. However, one problem is called "motor boating" which is, naturally, a low frequency oscillation. My guess is that the oscillation and microphonics may have a common cause - - something going wrong with the tube.

The real experts can tell us more.

Gil