Ebay black Academy

colterphoto1

Frz, I thought you were telling me my system sucked and that DrWho and I were both deaf idiots?

I've spent probably $3000 on Klipsch speakers since joining this Forum 3 years ago (11 Heritage cabinets this year alone) and seem to be more displeased with my system than ever. Bring in the white boxes!

Michael

----------------

On 3/23/2005 2:32:32 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

My KLF-C7 is going in the dumpster tomorrow, I'll follow the advice of using 'phantom' center mode until the PERFECT SPEAKER is available for my meager system. END EDIT

Michael

----------------

LOL Michael. Maybe I was a little too strident in my writing. I can get carried away.

I think I used the expression "to each his own" twice. If you like it, awesome. I have read that some people like an Academy between two Heresys just fine. More power to them, I say. I didn't like it, though, and my wife doesn't either, so things are harmonious in our theater room. To our ears it took more away than it added. It didn't work for me, and the IMO and IME is that phantom center is superior to mismatched center.

So that's what I recommend. Phantom center is cheaper and sounds better than mismatched, again IMO and IME. Win-win, right? So take my opinion for what it is -- one guy's opinion -- and do what you want and enjoy your system the way YOU like it. That's all any of us is out to do. Just bear in mind that some people are going to hear the difference, and they're going to be bothered by it, and someone is going to say "How the hell could you recommend I do that? It sounds like ***!"

Which is, of course, just another guy's opinion.

Peace.

O, its' just that I keep pouring money into my system, am proud of it, then get it run down by you guys. It hurts. I'm not a millionaire but I've got 4 (soon 5) Corns pumping away with a horrible top of the line Yamaha HT receiver I paid a grand for. It must suck according to what I hear on the Forum.

M

Geez Michael, you are being too critical. All I was trying to get across is that there are better options, and that the KLF-C7 just was not designed and built with your application in mind. I never said it did not sound good, in fact I said that it did, it just won't blend well. If you and Dr. Who did not notice any mismatch, then you should be pleased! That means you don't have to spend anymore money. AS I stated and will state again it does not matter what the hell we think! It is what sounds good to you!

Am I wrong to offer the absolute best option to people as a suggestion?

Hell someone could come over and tell me my system sounded like junk, I would be hurt but I know it sounds great to me so I would get over it.

Dude I don't have deep pockets I am just a bargain shopper and happened to be in the right places at the right time. When I started putting this system together I never in world imagined that I would get to this level it is like a dream come true. I started with a KG 2.2V between Belle Klipsch for crying out loud. I've been there!

Take a deeeeeep breath, relax. It's all good.

----------------

On 3/23/2005 2:03:59 PM Olorin wrote:

Who,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but it's the only way I can think to put it.

You and Michael don't hear the difference because you've never heard the difference.

Neither of you has ever HAD an Academy between Heritage speakers. You lack the data from which to draw a conclusion. I'm in the same boat with the KLF-C7, which is why you never hear me talk about it.

LOTR Fellowship, Disk 2, is full of pans that will illustrate the difference. The three or so scenes that make up the approach to Moria Gate, Balin's Tomb, and the Balrog are illustrative of the timbre mismatch. Snippets that come to mind are at the gate when Boromir walks in front of Gandalf and Frodo as they are talking, when Pippin pulls the arrow from the corpse and it drags the chain into the well, when the Orc arrows fly at Boromir from left to right and slam into the door, and the arrows flying across the screen on the Bridge of Kahzad-Dum.

You have to play them with the center off and set to phantom, then turn the center on and play the scenes again. If your receiver's steering is any good the only real difference you'll hear is the perfect timbre match between your mains and the imperfect timbre match between your mains and your center.

Remember that at that stage you're listening for a DIFFERENCE, not a better and a worse. Differences exist more or less objectively. Better and worse are value judgments that will vary from one person to the next, and I'm not going to tell anyone they can't like their C7 between Cornwalls better than a phantom center. To each his own. Decisions on better and worse, though, can only come after differences are identified.

It's nothing to do with pitch, it's to do with voicing. If you can't hear it, congratulations. Your life got simpler.
1.gif

Oh, as for progress not perfection, I couldn't disagree more. I'm going to spend the money once and get all the way there instead of spending the money to get halfway there and then spending it again. Another "to each his own."

----------------

Well then, sounds like I need to go rent the movie since it sounds like a fun experiment to do while I'm sitting around waiting for me throat to heal. Like you've said, I've never heard the difference so I have no idea what I'm looking for...that's why I want to hear one so badly (well...I don't want to hear one until funds permit of course). 2.gif

Re: colter...

Your system is amazing dude, lol. Don't let ppl pee on a reciever they've never listened to before. 2.gif Things are only going to be that much better once you finish your wall of cornwalls too 9.gif

Thanks DrWho, as it stands now, I'm done with it all. It's just too much money to throw at something I'll never be pleased with. Probably will cancel on the LaScala deal, after all, who wants to drive to Detroit to pickup speakers they've never seen. I don't know what I was thinking when I told you to get those outdated Heresies from TB for me and it's pretty riduculous having 5 Cornwall speakers in my living room taking up all kinds of space. Think I'll just walk away from music and the Forum for a while...

Michael