what is a scott lc 21 yube pre-amp worth?

looking at a scott lc-21 tube preamp, in very good condition working and cosmetics, and am trying to get a value cant seem to fina alot of info on this, also is this a good pre-amp as far as quality construction and sound quality, fella is asking 300.00 for the pre thanks for all the help10.gif Joe

----------------

On 3/22/2005 4:46:42 PM NOSValves wrote:

Yup $300 is a reasonable deal. The LC21 doesn't come up often.

Craig

----------------

ok i appreciate that especially from you as i have seen several posts that connect you to tube gear, and i know you also build your oun, does this pre give good sound quality especially with the phono section, i would also be using solid state amps for awhile10.gif Joe

----------------

On 3/22/2005 5:00:23 PM Colin wrote:

why what is wrong with the VTP101i tube pre amp?

----------------

nothing wrong with the vtp, i was selling my pioneer rt 909 and another member wanted to trade the scott and a couple marantz ma 500 monoblocks, i always wondered what the marantz sounded like and i like the idea that each speaker will have a dedicated amp, at 125 watts, way less than my phase amps but i dont even need the 125 with klipsch, i figured i could use the scott with my phase and set up a sorta ht system thru the aux, and have a second system in the living room i already have a spare set of cornwalls and a spare set of heresy's, just have alot of ideas floating around but wanted another opinion as to what the scott was worth as i know the pioneer is easy 700.00 10.gif Joe

• 2 months later...

The LC21 is a very clean sounding preamp and worth the $300 price tag. It is one of the more simple preamps from the "Golden Age" and has a refreshingly clean sound. When properly refurbished, the preamp is quiet, stable and just plain sounds nice. Personally, this is my favorite tube preamp. For years I have been telling people on the H.H. Scott forum that this is the best preamp Scott has to offer with respect to overall sound quality. Ironically, it is their least expensive and was actually a Scott Kit. It's matching power amp is the excellent LK-150. I have had the opportunity to service LK-150 and LC21 systems and everytime I finish with the systems and am ready to box them up I find it incredibly hard to let go of them. I finally got an LC-21 for myself and I can tell you that in an AB comparison against other Scott preamps or the Dynaco PAS series, or even the Marantz 7, I still like the old LC-21.

It will drive anything from a Scott LK150 to a Dynaco ST70.

Like any vintage preamp that is over 40 years old as the LC21 is, the preamp should be completely refurbished. But the end result will be quite impressive. It is a full featured preamp with stereo / mono selector, Scratch filter, rumble filter, phono preamp eq settings for tape and mag cartridge, separate tone controls for each channel, and even a center channel out with a level control mounted concentrically on the balance control.

It also has a tape loop for recording.

Hope this helps,

Bill B.

Archangele Audio; Tube amp service, design and building at:

http://home.alltel.net/wbittle1

looking at a scott lc-21 tube preamp, in very good condition working and cosmetics, and am trying to get a value cant seem to fina alot of info on this, also is this a good pre-amp as far as quality construction and sound quality, fella is asking 300.00 for the pre thanks for all the help10.gif Joe

----------------

Kind of funny that I now own this LC21, took me a long time to find one at a reasonable price. They are nice but no way no how can they even remotely compete with a quality modern preamps like a Blueberry, Peach or others. Just like all vintage gear they are extremely rolled off and both ends of the frequency spectrum.

Craig