Dayton Titanic MkIII 15 vs SVS PB1-ISD or HSU VTF3 MK-2

mightyseven

I Just bought a pair of Cherry RF-7's and a RC-7 center and a pair of RS 3II's for the rears. I bought it all for $1700.00. Plus the guy through in a bunch of monster cable to wire them all up. I am a newbie but enjoy good sounding audio (music and movies). I am now looking to buy a decent sub that will give me the best bang for my buck. I have read the reviews in Home Theater-Forum PB1-ISD vs. STF-3 , and I have read a vary nice review on the Dayton Titanic MkIII 15 which was done buy a member of this forum. Thanks meuge.

I have $700.00 dollars to spend and have narrowed it down to these three,

Dayton Titanic MkIII 15, SVS PB1-ISD, HSU VTF3 MK-2. What would be the better choice?

14.gif

i would say the titanic hands down(although the others are ok for the $ too). i have the titanic 10in mk3 and even though the kit is under powered(needs a bigger amp), it does sound very nice when the amp doesnt clip it at lower levels. the 15in kit is not under powered at all so no worries there. im sure the other 3-4 owners of the dayton 15in kit will talk soon. good luck with which ever one you go with.

scp53

If you wind up getting the Dayton, make sure to get polyfill for it. I didn't, and now I regret it. At some point I'll get some polyfill and stuff it (heh), but I highly recommend doing it right away. I saw some forum posts comparing stock foam vs. foam + polyfill, and the polyfill gave the sub sightly better bass extension. Since polyfill really costs only a few bucks, it'd be a shame not to use it.

As for assembling it, it's a really straighforward process... just follow their instructions, and never press (or god forbid tap) directly down onto the screws when you're mounting the driver - it can cause the T-nut to dislodge from the other side.

P.S. I had trouble with ground-loop hum on the sub, but I pre-empted this problem by ordering a spare IEC cable along with the sub, since I didn't want to ruin the very substantial stock cable. When I heard the hum, i simply ripped out the ground pin from the spare IEC cable and used that instead. Been dead quiet ever since.

P.P.S. The parametric EQ is an awesome bonus... helps a lot with fixing either room modes, extension, etc...

• 4 weeks later...

the 3 pounds will give it more extension(depth). its more of a personal taste thing. You can try it with and without and then decide. If you dont like it you'll be out $10-12(~$3.50 per pound). good luck

scp53

ps- my avatar name is Scp53, not No Life lol.

----------------

On 4/16/2005 4:17:25 PM mightyseven wrote:

Thanks for the info No Life. Is this stuff really worth the extra 30.00?

----------------

Well, if it will give you an extra couple of Hz of extension it's worth it, especially considering that being a sealed sub, the Titanic is somewhat extension-challenged. I mean, after paying $700 for the sub... to not spend $30 on polyfill seems like a waste.