How Do I Add A Center Channel to My 2 Channel System

Gilbert

Holly Auachamoly....Don you resurrected an old post.

I appreciate everyone's input on the subject, but Craig answered my question a while back. Craig pointed out the fact that my preamp (C22) has a L+R RCA output, so there's no need to build anything.

Also, I recently aquired some new/used MC60's, so I'm set on the amps. As soon as the preamp and newly aquired amps are done at Craigs, I will have my 3 channel tube system up and running.

thanks guys....1.gif

I gotta ask...

Why a center speaker? What needs to be filled-in?

My KHorns are 18' apart. When the lead vocals come on, they sound as if they originated from the center speaker over the TV. Except that speaker is not playing at all. There's no need to fill in anything.

Is this needed when they are spread apart more?

----------------

On 8/25/2005 1:24:35 PM psg wrote:

I gotta ask...

----------------

The pair of cornwalls currently in my 2 channel system are spaced damn near the exact same distance as your Khorns (18ft). They are orientated with their backs 2" off the wall.

Like your khorns, my cornwalls fill the room with sound quite nicely, and my only reason, at this point in time, for a 3rd. channel is more for experimentation than the need to fill any precieved sound holes.

----------------

On 8/25/2005 1:24:35 PM psg wrote:

I gotta ask...

My KHorns are 18' apart. When the lead vocals come on, they sound as if they originated from the center speaker over the TV. Except that speaker is not playing at all. There's no need to fill in anything.

Is this needed when they are spread apart more?

----------------

The deficit is one of spatial imaging. Fortunately it is not severe but it is most noticeable with widely separted speakers. The term "hole in the middle" is a bit unfortunate since you will still get a phantom center (when the L & R have identical signals). However the center (usually percussion and vocal) may not be as "solid" (it is hard to describe - also the sweet spot may be smaller or more fragile). The center channel will cure that.

I think (my opinion so don/t go wild) it may also help with some room acoustic issues. Since each channel (L & R) is producing some delay and add filtering ("comb filtering"), the center may smooth that problem out. Yes, the center will also produce comb filtering, but it is unlikely that the "delay & add" would be the same as the L & R components. So the sum would be smoother. I hesitate to bring this up since this issue is causing various misunderstandings in another thread. Additionally, you are now also listening to the summed signal from a speaker that is on axis (the L & R may not be) so you may get a better frequency respeonse for that reason.

Setting up a center is fairly simple. Give it a try.

good luck,

-Tom

----------------

On 3/26/2005 2:37:11 AM DrWho wrote:

Btw, you don't HAVE to have a third amplifier to do this either...one of the boxes works from the output of your amps at speaker level, instead of the more typical line level boxes. That advantage to the third amp is that it gives you much simpler control over the center channel volume.----------------

I don't think so. That would have to be "subtractive" and I believe that everybody, including PWK has retracted that idea.

I just gave a moderator a "hideing" for misinformation. I'm sorry for being negative today. I guess somebody has to do it.

DRBILL