Peter Gabriel "Plays" well with others

Zen Traveler

I wasn't a BIG Peter Gabriel fan growing up, however I appreciated his genius. His concert DVD's both are real good and are a must have for Concert DVD lovers.

This greatest hits compilation, "Peter Gabriel-Play, the Videos," is the best one I have heard of any artist. The DTS 96/24 sound quality is phenomenal (unless you own the Denon 3805-appears to be a gremlin problem between player and dvd).

The video quality is also good. Watching this DVD, start to finish brought out every emotion. You can't help but smile at songs like "Sledgehammer" and "Steam." I couldn't believe how profound the "Biko" video was. I found myself wiping a tear from my eye.

There are maybe 4 songs out of 24 that were less than impressive.

• Like 1

You are right! This has got to be the best sounding DVD I have now (and I have a LOT of them).

For some reason though, my DVD player will not read the "extras" portion of this DVD?? It tries for a few seconds then gives up and goes to the main menu.

Oh well.....

Great mix regardless!!9.gif

Take care

Mike

Although, I have not seent the DVD you speak of, I can just imagine how great it is. I have his "Growing Up Live" DVD and it is excellent. The concert itself is done in-the-round and the stage is reconfigured after each song by roadies who are shown sitting beneath the stage during each song. The camera gives us both an in-your-face and behind-the-scenes perspective at the same time. This is a very unique and Avant Garde concert. But then, what else would one expect from Peter Gabriel?

• Like 1

I also have a decent selection of concert and music DVD's. I totally agree that "Growing up live," was extremely well done. When I saw those guys in orange wearing the Teka headlamps it brought a smile to my face. Prior to watching the video I had given friends and family ones for Christmas because I had gotten so much use out of mine. They are excellent for getting behind the component cabinet and taking on trips to use in strange sleeping environments (i.e., camping, hotel rooms, friends houses, etc.) where you may not know where the light switch is.

His first concert DVD, "Secret World, Live" was also a good sounding concert with a different feel to it. Picture quality wasn't as good as "Growing...," (I didn't realize this as much until the new one came out) but I thought the renditions of the songs "Secret World" and "Steam," were better than the latter concert.

There was also several songs that I liked that weren't on the 2nd one including, "Come talk to me," Kiss that Frog," and "Shaking the Tree," that made me start listening to him again.

• Like 1

My inspiration for buying 'Growing Up..' was the High Definition cable network INHD aired the entire concert one night in Hi-Def splender. OMG: It looked like I was in the front row and I could simply reach out and touch everyone! The DVD-version is not nearly as visually clear, of course, but just as enjoyable.