Digital amplification in retrospect...it made a believer outta me!

jt1stcav

According to DIYer Mike Stehr, "I hated that vacuum cleaner attachment looking enclosure..." refering to his newly purchased Sonic Impact 5066 portable T-amp, so he did something about it (very tastefully I may add):

SI front1.jpg

post-11084-13819263740302_thumb.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SI rear1.jpg

Its rearend is just as nice, straightforward, and functionally far better than the original IMO. My bro was wondering why no gain control; I assume Mike is using a preamp with this setup (Tom want's to know how much you would charge for this upgraded mod?)2.gif

post-11084-13819263741062_thumb.jpg

My brother (who's owned a JoLida JD 202A, Dared VP-16, and a 6BQ5 Magnavox SE console amp) ordered his SI digital T-amp through procura.com (presently in stock for $20.11 and it's arriving next week), due to all the rave reviews he's read so far about this inexpensive little 1.5 lbs. box that fits in the palm of your hand, is cool to the touch, and has virtually all the sonic qualities of high-end audiophile SS and tubed power amps available today!

Several weeks ago he also won an eBay auction ($165 BIN) for a discontinued NIB 2003 model Panasonic SA-XR10 digital AV receiver with onboard Dolby Digital, DTS, and Dolby Pro Logic II 5.1 surround decoding, and 100 WPC via its Texas Instruments chip. Aesthetically it's georgous with its sleek, contemporary design and tasteful use of polished chrome, and it sounds every bit as detailed, transparent, and 3 dimensional as what others here are saying about these latest digital amps from SI, Teac, Yamaha, etc. He's had it a week now and according to him it's opened up tremendously, even though right out of the box it blew away his latest transistorized Yamaha RX-V640 6.1 AV receiver (with its more updated DTS ES Discrete 6.1, Neo 6, DTS ES Matrix 6.1, Dolby Digital EX, et al...the Yamaha's on eBay now). I'm new to all this digital power amp technology and wasn't aware that digital HT receivers are also available...if I was in the market for an AV receiver (even if this 1st generation Panasonic isn't 6.1 or 7.1 THX certified, etc.), at its current price (retailed at over $600) it's a no-brainer!

panasonic_sa_xr101.jpg

Russ and leok have been proclaiming the virtues of digital/Tripath Class-T amplification for quite some time now, and now Mike, Eric, Joe, Scott, and many others are joining in on the digital bandwagon. With all these testimonials from reputable forum members, it's seems to this inexperienced listener that digital amplification is certainly the wave of the future, and worthy of all our consideration when looking for new power amps for our systems. I'm not downplaying the current lot of SS, SET, and PP power amps out there today, nor am I even considering replacing my 300B SET! But I am gonna take a long hard look at the latest digital amplifiers out there today, and research this chip technology further so I can fully understand and appreciate it. Since hearing my bro's Panasonic, I am a believer...Viva la Chips!

Just my two cents...5.gif

post-11084-13819263741612_thumb.jpg

Portable, indeed. That thing is tiny. Actually, I've wondered whatever happened to small SS amps. The first one I ever tried, a Kenwood, was 40w/channel and fit nicely in the palm of the hand. My guess is that it's a marketing thing, with consumers expecting something of "normal" size for their money. Rat Shack had a nice line of small components for a while.

BTW, I presume you didn't catch my initial post after my year or so hiatus? I pointed out that with the BSH organ complete it was time to start ragging your dad to fix that organ so we could record "Organ in Residence" in 4 channel DVD-A.

Dave

Gee, Jim, that was a great story...

The refurb carries a 90 day Panasonic warranty. My experience with pure digital equipment is that it either craps in the first few days or lasts forever.

I've queried the ebay guy about just what he means by "most" of the manufacturer's warranty. Normally, the warranty is full on any NIB items (with the possible exception of NOS valves:-)).

Dave

Ok, I DON'T want to know what you are doing this time...

Tire of waiting, dangit.

I went ahead and ordered from the yahoo store, as the 90 day warranty is, in my belief, adequate for a digital component and the total is 175.00.

I cannot wait to see if this thing performs even adequately. Now, (at least as soon as I get my ST-70 off to Craig for repair), I will have available to my 'horns: Denon AVR 3??? (I forget, I have it for 8 years. It was their last flagship Pro Logic and a great piece), Super PAS4 preamp/ST-70 Van Alstine, Crown preamp/Mc2100, and this digital upstart.

That should make for a pretty good DFW Hornhead group meeting sometime this summer when I get them over to listen to the newly mastered Spankers DVD-A.

Still having a bit of trouble believeing this is going to sound very good for that amount of money. Hope my beliefs are shattered.

Film at 11.

Dave

Seem to be talking to myself on this thread. I'm thinking Jim hit the beer at 12 eastern promptly as he seems to be taking a lot of breaks...

Anyway, here is the response from the ebay seller:

Dear davidamallett,

You asked:

"How much is "most" of the manufacturers warranty? Best regards, Dave"

Hi, The date on the receipt is Feb. 20th 2005. Panasonic's warranty is Parts-1year/Labor-90days. That leaves about 11months on parts and 2months on labor. Thanks.

Not a bad deal, IMHO. Hope mine works out...

Anybody used one of these things? The reviews I've read so far range from "good" to "stellar" with the higher reviews coming from users...a good sign. Most of the criticism from pro reviewers deals with I/O issues like a lack of S video, lower output power than rated (doubt if that will be a problem for the ol 'horns), etc. Don't care about the lack of S either...convenience is for the HT system and that will only be a sideline for this one.

Dave

Dave

Your brother will more than likely prefer the Panasonic receiver tonality-wise over the SI amplifier.

And the Panasonic looks twice as nice as my modded SI digi-amp, I like the chromish slim and simple look.

I bought a late seventies vintage Mitsubishi DA-R15 receiver from eBay for 27 bucks, 47 or so with shipping.

Now I would never buy a SS receiver outright off eBay, kinda risky...depends...

The local audio friend of mine has one, and was waxing away about this cheap Mitsubishi receiver. And how for daily listening it was more convenient and close enough tonewise to his 2A3 amplifier.

I was curious of course, and in the next visit listened to the receiver, and listened to the 2A3 amp.

With the 2A3 hooked up to one side, and the Mitsubishi on the other, I noodled and listened for ten minutes or so, using the VC's on each unit.

As you turn down the volume on each side, the 2A3 holds it's frequency response down until the control is off.

The receiver would lose it's linearity as level went down, and would start cutting out.

That was expected. As levels were raised the tonality was rather close, really close.

The 2A3 amp in stereo is more open, airy and wide with the nice midrange of course.

The imaging with 2A3 is also better, but the receiver does rather well with no smearing that I could notice.

It has a warm vintage tone, clean on top and punchy in the bass as well.

My 2A3 and Dan's 2A3 amps kick butt over the Mitsubishi receivers nonetheless, but for a daily driver unit at the price I'm rather happy.

For 50 bucks I have more headroom for watching DVD's,(Dawn of the Dead was cool, poor bastards...) and the FM reception with the DA-R15 is really good.

I was into the Sonic Impact amp project 60 bucks or so and had to do the work.

The receiver I just cleaned and pulled the cover, blew and brushed out the dirt, sprayed the pots and ran it up on the variac.

I think Heidi popped out the blue and called it the other day.

"That black box sounds boomy on the bass." "It sounds like it get's lots of high range, but it really doesn't."

"The receiver sounds more relaxed, balanced."

Gee, I wish she'd give her take more often......

Sorry Dave, was posting an auction on eBay for Kimber Kable 8TC speaker cables that took longer than expected...not a drop of beer all day, sorry to say!14.gif

I'm happy to hear you're pleased with the Panasonic's reviews thus far, especially those from actual owners who use theirs on a daily basis. Like my brother, he's extremely satisfied with its detail and 3D imaging. Sure, it may not have the conveniences of S Video or the latest in DTS and Dolby Digital, etc., but it suites his needs and is totally more cleaner, more neutral, with a solid black background and a wider soundstage than his year old top-flight 85 WPC Yamaha 6.1 AV receiver with the latest in DTS/DD technology. Driving his efficient Triangle Zephyr 2-way floorstanding towers with a Diana Krall SACD played through his Pioneer "Universal" player, the Panasonic is smooth as silk and never gets warm (and like Mike says, it's a thing of beauty as well..."I like the chromish slim and simple look.").

But I guess you'll find out soon enough when yours comes in.2.gif

Mike, sounds like this ol' Mitsubishi SS receiver is another fine component to compete with the likes of the harman/kardon HK430 twin-powered receiver and its higher powered kin, along with McIntosh MC250 and MC2100 amps, and the lil' Monarchy Audio SM-70 power amp. Not bad for two tanks of gas...5.gif

Well, I am having it sent to Texas since that is where my system is (unless you saw some of my earlier posts, you may be unaware I am doing countermine warfare simulation course for the Army at Fort Leonard Wood in the garden spot of SW Misery) so I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that it might show up while I am there next weekend. If not, it will be two weeks before I get to play.

Oh, well, I've a new Sony 7.1 reciever waiting for integration into the HT system, the ol' big Denon to move from there to the 'horn system (or perhaps back to Misery with me since this new little pup is on the way, the Spankers DVD-A to audition, my wife and daughter back from China with hours of video and stories, an n-scale layout to get together for my son, an interview with a great consultant firm, and I expect to find a couple of pickup trucks and an old boat or two if I can get the mower started....probably going to be a fairly full 4 days even without this thing showing up.

Dave3.gif

Damn, you've been very busy my friend; your family too. Looks like your anticipation will reach its zenith when you finally get ahold of your new Panasonic. I'll be looking forward to your thoughts on it after you've given it a good listen to.

I grabbed 4 of the TriPath 2020 eval boards about a year back. I am one drive the high end (above 500 Hz) of my Altec's. They don't have the umph to do the stuff below 500 Hz. Got no complaints wiht them. I replaced a 300 B with them.

Jim N

We are liking the Teac amp more and more, and it seems ideally suited to use as the 3 front channel amplifier in our surround system. I appreciate it absolutely dead-silent power supply (no upgrades needed or planned in that respect), its extended high frequency response(absent of the small amount of glare of that palm-sized SS amp mentioned earlier), and the bass response it pulls from the Klipschorns has a tightness and weight not so easily achieved by any of the single-ended amps I have. The Moth is closest in that sense, I think.

Where low power single ended triode amps shine brightest, I think, is from the lower midrange on up. This isn't to say that they can't 'do bass' well, because with certain styles of music and lower frequency instruments, such as acoustic jazz and acoustic string bass, they can and do sound very satisfactory (to me). By comparison, the Teac A-L700P has what to me seems like more firm control or a tighter grip of bass notes that sound rather elongated or a little 'loose' when reproduced by my single ended 2A3 amps.

However, the Teac digital amp has not banished the Moondogs and Horus to some triode pasture of retirement. They are both amplifiers I not only have enjoyed very much, but ones in which I've invested a considerable amount of time and labor -- not to mention, money. I'm using them where I think their sonic attributes might be best suited. I have the side and rear channels rolled off at 120 cycles, and the Moondogs and Horus should work well in that application. I already know the Horus and side Heresys work fantastically well together, and I'm certain the Moondogs will be just as good as the rear channel amps.

So, tubes are still very much a part of our system and listening experience! Along with the Moth, which I'm using in conjunction with my 6SN7 preamp, I still have the filaments of 20 vacuum tubes to watch in the dark -- which I still think is fun to do. It's not as if modern solid state and digital technology has uprooted our entire system, but rather that I'm using each where their strenths seem -- to me and in my opinion -- best used.

Erik

I like the Teac very much but took it out of my two channel rotation because it just doesn't come close to the clarity and speed of the tricked out Horus and Pantheon. The Horus' cobalt OPT's and the SRPP Patheon with Black Gate just really nail the music. Damn, for almost five grand for the pre- and amp combination, they had better!

All that being said, I'm keeping the Teac for my son's stereo in his room. It's a great sounding amp with an unbelievable value rating, it doesn't get hot and won't burn the house down if left on by accident.

I have the little SI doing full duty in my office system on KG4's. When working back there, I just grab the iPOD, queue up some playlists, and there's music in about 15 seconds. Can't beat that for convenience.

Heading over to LeoK's on Wednesday afternoon for a listening session.

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP with 24 bit/192 KHz Upsampling

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 SET Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

Erik, Chris...

With you guys weighing in on the digital amp issue, I await the arrival with annnnnticiiiiiipaaaaaation.

While I've been away for a while, I don't recall much, if any, discussion of this technology in this section of Klipschville. Perhaps even more important, vacuum-breathing traditionalists are suggesting it's OK, or better.

Fascinating...

Dave