Woodog's KHorns sound wonderful!

BS Button

Yo Craig,

Have you ever tried a 6L6 in an ST-70. The 6L6 has a lower heater current. Been thinking....

Had a few folks say it would work. Dynaco manual says that you can use a KT66 if you need to.

Marvel

----------------

On 3/28/2005 8:13:02 PM BS Button wrote:

Experts chime in.

What am I getting with an AMC CVT 2030 with 4 (2 per side) non socketed EL-34's?

Ebay item # 5763239666

----------------

That looks interesting, for sure, but the sound you heard had to do more with the 'pre-amp' side of the equation rather than the power amp side. Trust me, my 208 power amp, while nice, is a bottom-of-the-barrel-nothing-special tube power amp. The 355, from what I understand, is a nicer than usual pre-amp. If you like terms like 'magic', then that's where most of the 'magic' happens, in the pre-amp. That's why there's so much drool when folks here talk about the Juicy Music Peach/Blueberry. That is a pre-amp. Pricey, but having heard one, oooooooooooooooooo.

If you *are* thinking about going the tube route, time is on your side, I think. Good deals show up here on a regular basis from folks that we can hunt down and hurt if they do us wrong! Just kidding. really. 9.gif

I urge you to look at Mark1101's Scott 222-A again. Telefunkens, auricaps, and a nice walnut case? And, depending on the price, if you didn't want to keep it, you could recoup the majority of your $$$ selling it here. Don't be fooled by the watts/side spec. It has balls!

And, if you don't want that one, there will be others showing up.

If you want to go a different route with mega power, check out the solid state Harman Kardon x30 series. Dirt cheap but goodness do they make big ole horns sing. There was a Harman Kardon 930 earlier today with a BIN price of $150. It was in Canada, so the shipping might be a bit much, but what a deal! One of the best tuners and some serious power. The H/K 430 that I got for my son's Heresys really blows me away. I took some of my music in his room a few minutes ago just to listen to it on that system. You saw that room... tiny/cramped... but the sound was delicious. Detailed, spacious, clean and powerful. All from a $50 amp. Amazing.

Heck, if you want to try out one of those TEAC A-L700P tripath digital amps, I've got one of those I'd be glad to lend you, but again, the 'magic' is in the pre-amp.

Happy hunting! And remember, time *is* on your side. 2.gif

peace,

Forrest

BS Button,

I have no clue on that amp. Non Socketed EL34's ? So what you throw the amp away when the tubes wear out LOL !! Crazy stuff. Its cheap enough that is for sure.

Marvel,

You 6L6GC will work fine in a Stereo 70 just bias them the same as a EL34 and yes KT66 will work also no problem at all. I like 6L6GC's and KT66's in Stereo 70's they both have better bass response. Especially comared to most modern EL34's the exception os a Mullard EL34 has some real nice bass.

Craig