Members Weekly Music Recommendations-March 28

thebes

Mark Isham - Film Music (Windham Hill). Soundtrack music from three films - "Never Cry Wolf", "Mrs. Soffel", and "The Times of Harvey Milk".

My work and recreational pusuits have taken me to some very remote and isolated places in the cold regions of the world. This music is better than any other at capturing the special feeling of being alone in wild areas of the arctic landscape and high mountain ranges.

Madeline Peyroux - Careless Love - CD I cannot accurately describe this awesome disc, so I'll steal the last bit of the amazon.com review to characterize it..."strands of acoustic blues, country ballads, classic jazz, torch songs and pop into a vibrant fabric that is both timeless and thoroughly up to date, with Peyroux's arresting vocals always front and center."

Do yourself a favor, own this disc, really cool stuff.

----------------

On 4/1/2005 8:50:07 AM skonopa wrote:

It is definitly rock/metal. I would say more progressive than anything. The CD does feature the likes of Yngwie Malmsteen and Zack Wylde on the guitars (Derek is a keyboardist). Thus, a lot of power metal influence in it.

----------------

No joke, this thing rules! Just picked up a copy today, along with a ton of other similar-genre'd type music (only WITH vocals), but this is one hell of a recommendation, Steve! My hat is off! Holy mother freaking hellhold shizer silence of the lambs butcher cow this thing is AWESOME!!!!

Ok, now back to shredding metal in a pitch black room with candlelight...

----------------

On 4/1/2005 8:21:32 PM nicholtl wrote:

No joke, this thing rules! Just picked up a copy today, along with a ton of other similar-genre'd type music (only WITH vocals), but this is one hell of a recommendation, Steve! My hat is off! Holy mother freaking hellhold shizer silence of the lambs butcher cow this thing is AWESOME!!!!

----------------

Wow! Glad you liked it! 9.gif

Ahh, yes, nothing like dropping in something like this and just let it friggan RIP!

As I often like to say - "Play it HARD! Play it LOUD!" 11.gif

Ohh, man, I am sooo looking forward to meeting you in Indy in June!

Also to add (and to change the subject entirely):

I picked that up on a whim (it just looked cool), at the local Borders right here in good'ol Freddyburg. Funny thing was that I went in there intending to look for one of those "Ocean crashing on beach" type "white-noise" CD's to play on my bedroom system (I ressurrectd my old Infinity RS200.5 speakers and Yamaha R-V702 reciever), to help mask out outside noise and make it easier to sleep.

My house is smack in the middle of one of the largest, most commercial areas in this part of Virginia (and as a result, friggan price of the houses in this neighborhood is going astronmical! This stupid little house that I only paid $96K for 9 1/2 years ago, has been appraised at nearly $250K!). Hell, the friggan National Slavery Museum is being built less than 1 1/2 miles from my house! Yeah, it is convenient to have nearly all the big box stores, such as Best Buy, Circiut City, Wally-World, Sports Authority, to name a few a very short bike-ride away (maybe 2 miles, if that).

Unfortunatly, I also get all the morons racing through my nieghborhood with the loud "fart pipes" and thumpa-thumpa stereos. Really annoying when I just wnat to sit down and relax, and more especially at night, when trying to sleep (especially weekend nights). Sometimes I don't want to have to put on music just to drown-out the crap going on outside (although David Arkenstone, Troika, and such, does help, if wanting something more relaxing to listen to instead of the typical hard rock/metal that I often put on).

Thus wanting to try out the "white-noise" type CD's. I just ordered three of them from Pure White Noise. One is the noise of a fan, another is the sound of a gentle rain storm, and a third is just stright-up, pure, white noise. When they arrive, hopefully, they will help mask out the outside annoyances. I did find an "ocean crashing on beach" CD at the Borders, though, and does work nicely for playing while going to bed. Does help to mask out the outside noise pollution and makes for a more relaxing environment.