OT: Smartphone

damonrpayne

My cellphone is dying, its my only phone as I no longer keep a landline. I got a WindowsMobile Smartphone. I'm a .net developer who does a fair amount of mobile apps so I thought "Oh, cool, now I can write code for my phone". Every idea I have for something I could make myself ends up being trite and silly.

What information or function do you think would be cool to hae on a phone? Maybe a mini-version of WinISD? ;)

I'd like to be able to use my cellphone as a wireless infrared remote to control stuff around the house. Heck, I'm wearin' the dang thing all the time anyway, it might as well eliminate the need for remotes all around the house.

Got your million dollar idea...split it with me when you build it. First a little background. I too am a developer specializing in windows for mobile (phone/pda/etc) applications mostly as a contractor to gov. agencies. I just don't have the time or desire to build it myself. I have the motorolla mx200 phone. You probably got the newer mpx 220.

Anyway you need to build a suite of tools related to car things. One can be mileage tracker...every time you fill up the tank enter the gallons and current mileage. It subtracts from previous fill up mileage and keep running totals of MPG, then graph and show the data as needed. Imporve on it by having reminders for oil changes and the like at user defined intervals.

Next is a parking meeter minder. You have changable vaues for minutes added by Nickel/Dime/Quarter (5/1/2 keys on phone) when you are 5 minutes from the meter running out the phone vibrates and you go drop in some more change and update the coins, which are in turn minuts on the phone.

That is your first two. When you get this built send them to me and I will give you more tasks.

Good Luck, Rich

No time for pet projects. I am working 50-60 hours on mobile apps with my day job and in the evenings working on my home theater. I have gotten to the point where I hardly ever use a computer for "fun" anymore unless it is to post/read here or look on ebay for more klipsch speakers.

Good luck with the phone development...drop me a line once in a while and let me know what you are up to. You interested in some consulting work on the side? I have a customer that is looking for some "real" mobile developers...not just .net people that would like to learn about phones and PDAs. Who knows, maybe you could score some more $$$ to feet your Klipsch habit.

Rich

was reading your site a bit. Do you do work for this safenet http://www.safenet-inc.com/ ?

If so that is too funny. My biggest client moved about 1.5 years ago in a newly constructed building. About 6 months later Safenet moved in as well. I see safenet guys in the parking lot almost every day. BTW it is north of Baltimore MD. Small world, eh? I would not want to paint it.

----------------

On 3/31/2005 12:54:07 PM damonrpayne wrote:

That's a good Idea. Its been done with PDAs already. If the phone (mine doesn't) has an IR port its easily doable. My phone has bluetooth.
----------------

Yeah, i've witnessed it done with PDA's. I would think that some bright, young fellow could come up with a Bluetooth device that could be triggered by the phone that then translated to an infrared emitter, thereby turning the phone in into a Bluetooth-enabled, infrared remote. The emitter could be placed across the room from the components.