Width of Pro Amps? building custom rack

gibby214

I am building a component rack and was wondering if someone could please help me with dimensions of pro amps? Ive looked on a couple sites and they all say they are 19 inches wide, Now is that width of the chassis itself or width with the ears or mounting brackets.

Obviously I do not own any large components now but Possibly will upgrade in the future. Just wanted to have all options open for upgrades.

Thanks for the help

Gib

It depends on the gear, most gear that claims to be rack-mountable is 19" wide.

Other non-professional, that is, not made for fitting in a rack can be any dimension that the producer decides.

I think that the Sunfire is a fairly large footprint amp that is probably not rack-mountable, but I could be wrong. I remember it "looking big".

DM

----------------

On 3/31/2005 5:51:49 PM 3dzapper wrote:

The face plate is 19" with 18" between insides of the mounting cutouts.

Rick

----------------

it is actually 17 3/4" between the rails.....

additionally - the sunfire amps are available in two versions... the standard version is 19" wide while the architect version is 17.5" wide... they call it the architect version for all the custom installers who use professional racks in their installs

most consumer equipment will fit into a pro rack.... but it usually does not follow the standard rack spacing....

one rack space = 1.75" high

so by doing the math....

two spaces = 3.50" high

three spaces = 5.25" high

four spaces = 7.00" high

you can usually set consumer equipment on a rack shelf or go all out and get a custom faceplate built for you by middle atlantic

http://www.middleatlantic.com/rsh/rshcus2.htm

rshunit.jpg

and now they even make them in silver to match your silver components

mapsilvrNEW.jpg

1.gif

I work for a company that builds custom racks for news vehicles etc. You will want to get "bud" mounting rails.Here is a company we use RS electronics. Lengths are 42'(pmr 9450), 52 1/2'(pmr9451), 61 1/4'(pmr 9452), 70'(pmr 9453) and 78.750" (pmr9454). Phone # (800) 258-3603.If you build a frame, the inside width should be about 19.2" to 19.250" depending on your precision. the rack unit is like previously said 1.750". with that inside width,the distance ctc between your threaded mounting holes is 18.329" You may need rear support for heavier items so get four rails. They are sold in packs of 2 for about $50.00 a set.be sure to leave some room @ the top and the bottom. Good Luck.

Here is a box I made for some of my gear. The inside width was exactly 19". I would go 1/8 to 1/4 over that on another one if doing again (I will at some point. I used Raxxess rails (I think), threaded 10/32. You can get rails that have larger holes and use a captive nut, that you then place in the position that you need. In some ways this is nice, because you can remove the nut if you strip the threads.

Marvel

rack21.jpg