Question on caps, for anyone or "leok"

mustang1

I've owned 6 or 7 different sets of Klipsch speakers, and have never messed with the crossovers. Can someone please help me understand what the statements below actually mean, how much this would cost, reasons for doing so, etc.

RF-7s w PIO hf xover caps / Chorus-IIs w Hovland Musicaps mid, and tweeter xover caps / RB-5s / -All xover caps voltage conditioned

PIO = paper in oil (old design, most upgrades use metalized polypropylene)

Hovland Musiccpas = expensive audiophile caps

voltage conditioned = broken in by powersupply instead of 50 hours of listening

Crossover capacitors are replaced with higher quality ones becasue the speakes will 99.999% of the time sound amazingly better. Cost varies but can go from $30.00 for a pair of speakers to $30.00 per capacitor, upwards of a few hundred dollars depending on crossover design, capacitor values, etc.

mustang1,

RF-7:

I have replaced the 2 stock series crossover caps in the high frequency (horn) section with Jensen Paper in Oil caps.

Chorus-II:

I have replaced all stock tweeter and midrange crossover caps with Hovland polypropylene-film/foil "Musicap" branded capacitors.

RF-7, Chorus-II, RB-5:

I have (disconnecting caps as necessary from various circuits) applied high voltage DC (about 70V in this case) in both polarities to all crossover caps. The purpose is to use the capacitors' built in ability to correct or "heal" minor dielectric flaws to do exacty that: correct any latent flaws in the capacitor dielectric.

This last step may be accomplished by a few tens of hours of burn-in at high volumes in many systems, but the most powerful amp I own is 8W, and that won't do the trick. So, if I happen to be unfortunate enough to have a cap with a minor defect, it'll never go away. I believe this has made a big difference with some caps. In other cases (stock caps for example) the benefit is not something I would claim to be certain of.

Leo

Amplitude, Craig.

If sound is very loud my ears don't take it very well. Mid-hall, symphony or string quartet OK. Up front with either, in a room too small, not OK. Amplified rock .. generally too loud. I use earplugs. Front row, Renais-sance chamber orchestra .. just fine.

My Hi freq. hearing is fine as long as the volume is reasonable.

I keep trying to hide my ignorance, and never get the right response because I come across as knowing more than I actually do... So this time, I'm going to shed all facades and come clean..............

I don't know what a capacitor does, how to replace it on my KHorns, where they are, if it's an easy job or not, what they look like, where I can get some new ones... My '71 Khorns I'm sure need to have them replaced... and from what I've heard, it's an easy enough job. So taken with a grain of salt, I'm sure I could mess around with them a bit and do it...

I just don't know where to get started.

Pictures would be good. Anyone out there who can help this poor soul who has bared all in front of forum members?!?! 4.gif

-F

9.gif

Fauzi, You have Type A crossovers? On the x-over board are two silver colored metal boxes one larger than the other. Those are the the caps. The larger one is 13uF the smaller, 2uF.

Replacement is straight forward, solder new wires and terminals and copy the wireing exactly (do one at a time so you can copy).

As to where to buy replacement caps in Pakiatan, I haven't a clue. Maybe you can get them when you visit Canada later this year. Or order a pair of Bob Crites', DeanG's or Al K's for delivery while you are over here.

Rick

----------------

On 4/4/2005 8:24:56 AM 3dzapper wrote:

9.gif

Fauzi, You have Type A crossovers? On the x-over board are two silver colored metal boxes one larger than the other. Those are the the caps. The larger one is 13uF the smaller, 2uF.

Replacement is straight forward, solder new wires and terminals and copy the wireing exactly (do one at a time so you can copy).

As to where to buy replacement caps in Pakiatan, I haven't a clue. Maybe you can get them when you visit Canada later this year. Or order a pair of Bob Crites', DeanG's or Al K's for delivery while you are over here.

Rick
----------------

Rick,

Phew... that wasn't too bad. I checked it out, and I see what you are talking about. Although, I was having trouble reading some of the other specs on them. I think it says the voltage of the caps on them also. Anyone know what that might be? Yes, it's the type A.

I'm able to get caps over here, but not those made specifically for music. The ones that you get here are those that are general ones that are meant for a regular circuit board, which I'm sure can be soldered onto the x-over board. Would these be better than the old ones that are on there right now?

I think I may be able to mess around with it, provided someone can give me the ok to try to get the right spec capacitors.

Help out, someone.

-F