Bi-amping Klipschorns: Which crossover to use?

jmslaw

I own a pair of 2002 Klipschorns. I have been driving them with Wavelength Cardinal x-1s and feel the lower end lacks the oomphh that a good push-pull amp provides. I, therefore, want to use a different more powerful tube amp on the bottom. My question is which crossover should I consider. I don't want to sacrifice transparency. Do I need a 2 way or a 3 way? Where should I set the crossover points?

Thanks!

I know Gizmo Rosenberg used a Marchand with his big Tannoys. What about a 2-way ARC EC-22? I do not want to do anything to my AK-4 crossover. I simply want to connect the woofer terminals to the low pass and the mi/tweeter terminals to the high pass and adjust everything from the ARC (or other unit)

Thanks,

Jeff

"Delete". Yeah, I bet. I can only imagine what you were going to say.

Passively biamping with your current amp on the top end will bring unpredictable results, including the possibility of creating some problems for the amp. Check with the manufacuturer to see if the amp can handle it. You should either scrap the passive networks all together and go with electronic crossovers, or stick with the AK-4's and buy a more powerful amplifier.