77 Corn with "creaking" woofer

I mentioned this over in my thread, but I thought it would be a good idea to ask here. One of the woofers in my 77 cornwalls I just bought had the dustcover ripped off, but when I played it, it sounded fine.

Then when I was pulling the drivers to start refinishing the cabinets, I noticed the cone creaked when it moves. Sounds just like winding an old pocketwatch.

Normally, I would just replace the driver, but I have heard a few people prefer the original "3 bolt magnet" style K-33.

Any ideas on what this creaking sound might be?

Recone which includes surround, spider and voice coil is just a little more than half and usually can be done on all but the most horribly fried speakers. If you're moves at all, it qualifies for a recone. Contact BEC at this Forum.

New K33 is $129 from Klipsch, I think recone is $75 or so (don't quote me)

Michael

Here's all the info I have gathered....

According to Bob, he is able do the recone work, but is not setup to do it yet. He believes that other repair centers do not use Klipsch parts.

Called simply speakers. They can do it with Klipsch parts on special order, but they are very backlogged, so it will be 4-6 weeks, & will be $75, plus $15 shipping each way.

I think I will just order a new driver for now, & have Bob do the re-cone when he is ready. I can allways use a spare driver. No telling what I might buy next week!

If the speaker is still working, it's totally possible to do a "recone" and just re-use the current VC and diaphragm. Just be careful when taking it all apart.

One question though, can you get the creaking to stop if you push at different angles?

----------------

On 4/6/2005 1:59:30 AM DrWho wrote:

One question though, can you get the creaking to stop if you push at different angles?

----------------

no, the noise comes out at any angle, except sometimes when pushing in, it "clicks". It almost seems that something slipped inside the coil ( no dust cap) & is rolling with it. I even tried to put it face down & run some low bass through it to see if it would work it's way out.

Either way, I have decided to replace it with new & wait for Bob to start to do repairs. I will then use the new driver for my Cornwall center channel.

Hey Cyclone,

I had the same thing happen with my 81 corns. However, the bad driver was not a real K-33, it had a foam surround! Some cheap driver put in when the original went I guess.

I bought a new one from Klipsch and have been very happy with it, should be fine.

-Jon