Lascalas are home!!!

gonzp

Well the 900 mile drive to get the 1985 Lascalas is over, they are unloaded and I have got 10 hrs or so of good quality listening and comparason time. I have been using 84 Heresys and while they sound damn good with my Almarro A318A integrated tube amplifier the Lascalas have totally blown me away9.gif I've heard folks say the larger Klipsch soung Bigger, that is exactly the discription that I would apply! I have listened to Jazz, Classical, Bluegrass, Blues, Santana, and just about every other genre of music, and these speakers have not yet failed to amaze me. They have a warmth that the Heresys don't have. The bass is definately there and it is effortless. I have heard detail that I have not yet heard till now. I have heard a singer turn the page they were singing on, I also have heard the sound of an upright bass player rubbing his fingers across the string, not plucking the string!!! There is a point of diminishing returns in the audio world and at some point smaller upgrades are going to be much more expensive. I am just wondering how long I will be content to leave what I have alone before I start wanting to do some of the tweaks and upgrades that I have read about here on this fourm. I am wondering how many other folks have experienced the sonic boost!!! between the Heresy's and the bigger Klipschs' Cheers, Patrick

Congrats I know how you feel. I felt that way when I got my 84's 21 years ago. They are a fantastic speaker. You asked about diminishing returns on upgrades and tweeks. Give yourself some time with them but two tweeks worth considering are upgrading your AL crossovers and rope caulking the squawkers. I use ALK series A kit crossovers in mine and wow what an improvement, the rope caulk on the squawkers was also worth the effort it smoothes out the sound even more. Of course you have plenty of time to think about these and other mods. At this point I would just play em and smile for a while.

Gonzp, congratulations on your new

La Scalas. They are an extremely good speaker in my humble opinion.

I picked up an immaculate pair of 1989 Industrial La Scalas in raw birch a little over a week ago. Only 40 miles away. I like the sonics of my La Scalas very much. Very dynamic speaker with good fast tight bass. Some others complain about the lack of bass in La Scalas. The La Scalas have good bass to my ears. Currently driving my La Scalas with a Class A-2 gain stage-no negative feedback mosfet/

tube hybrid Llano Phoenix CAS 300/

VA2(6SN7,6SL7, 12SN7) amp-300 watts x 2. Mcintosh C 38 SS preamp. This amp sounds really good with both the Cornwalls & La Scalas to my ears. Ran the La Scalas with my Welborne Labs system for 3 days and liked the sonics. I will next try out the La Scalas with the Dehavilland system in a few days.

I am listening to my Dehavilland system tonight with my 1983 Cornwalls. First time in 10 days I have listened to either pair of my Cornwalls. I like the sonics of my Cornwalls very much also. I do know after hearing Deang's Auricap

Type B crossover networks in my 1977 Cornwalls that I will have to upgrade the crossovers in both the 1983 Cornwalls & 1989 La Scalas sometime in the future. Enjoy your

La Scalas, they are an excellent sounding speaker in my opinion.

Regards, Mike