Commercial Amp?

M6 Driver

Any folks out here in KlipschLand use commercial amps for Home Theater? I wouldn't know where to begin just looking for pointers pro's,con's etc. prefer to go Mono x 5 anybody?

------------------

Thanks J

KLF 30 Mains

C7 Center

8.5 rears

Yamaha RX-V995

Toshiba SD-1600 DVD

Pioneer CLD-S201 LD

Pioneer PD-M53 CD

Sony 32 inch TV

no subs till house built

I have used commercial amps before because I am a bass player. It really comes down to how much money you want to spend vs. quality. Crown makes awesome amps (VERY POWERFUL!!) but may not offer the clarity or detail as high end home stereo amps do.

Just my $.02...

------------------

wired1@ameritech.net

I use a Hafler Pro 505 for my subwoofer amp (400W/channel/4 ohms, 255W/channel/8 ohms, 800w/4 ohm bridged) and it works fine. I was toying with the idea of using another one to run my front mains. I am not sure about the distortion ratings but I think it would be hard to beat the the .08% distortion of my HK AVR 510 in a comerical amp. On the other hand I am sure I don't hear the .1% distoration of the Hafler either. If I get a bug up my butt I will try switching the mains over to the Hafler and let ya know how that turns out.

Laters,

------------------

FOR SALE OR TRADE COMPLETE R*3 SYSTEM FOR 3 HERESY'S

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

This message has been edited by eq_shadimar on 08-27-2001 at 05:04 PM

Consider BGW. I have listened to BGW, Crown, Adcom, Carver, and Phase Linear on klipsch at home and by far BGW was the most pleasing. But get only the BGW 250/750 Series amps; I had a BGW Proline in my basement that I didn't like at all.

The good news is BGW is cheap on eBay. In fact, there is someone in FL who sells BGW regularly on eBay. If you buy and don't like it, you should be able to get what you paid for it. Or, save it to use as a subwoofer amp.

------------------

John Packard

Take a good look at QSC. Bang for the buck is hard to beat ( USA series ). We have used plenty of these for movie theatre installs and they have almost zero problems. I have a Bryston and am happy with it. I would stay away from AB amps. I personally do not like the sound of Crown, but others will disagree with me. There is nothing wrong with pro gear for home use. If you find a good quality amp at a good price go for it. Oh- Look at Mackie also. Very good amps, good company.

------------------

Just who is Dylan's Jokerman anyways?

Okay how about the select few that have Samson Amps to power the SVS anybody tinker with the idea to drive their mains with the Samson?

------------------

Thanks J

KLF 30 Mains

C7 Center

8.5 rears

Yamaha RX-V995

Toshiba SD-1600 DVD

Pioneer CLD-S201 LD

Pioneer PD-M53 CD

Sony 32 inch TV

no subs till house built