Dynakit ST-70 and PAS 2 .......+ Heresy I's......?

flegz

an st-70 and pas-2 are classic components that should match well with the heresey. the weak component in the group would be the preamp which requires extensive mods to really sound good. the ST-70 is a confirmed classic that sounds great, way above its "pay grade". it is a great way to start and you can always upgrade the preamp in the future if you wish...what are you using as a source? regards, tony

Can you tell me about the Van Alstine mods? How much of a difference is there between a refurbished stock specs and modded versions? It was leaning on keeping the rebuild more as stock with upgrades to the caps..This is all rather new to me. I'm currently using a Denon Cd Player, sony ps-x700 turntable, and Onkyo tx-4500 for tuner......

Well, I had the old ST-70 for about 25 years and it really needed help. My impression at the time was that Frank Van Alstine was pretty much regarded as the godfather of Dyna mods and rebuilds, so I had him do it. As to how much better (assuming it is) sounding they are than stock rebuilds, you'd really have to query our more equipment-oriented and practiced ears (of which there are many). I am more source-material sensitive than I am to equipment (unless it REALLY sux).

However, I can say the workmanship and component quality of Frank's shop is trully outstanding.

Dave

Thanks for the replies.........Studip question.......If I wanted to get a sub for this system, how do I get a line source to the sub from a Dynakit st-70?

And.......Should a tube amp power the sub?

Flegz

STudiP Is aS Stupid dOEs.......... 16.gif

----------------

On 4/5/2005 6:03:45 PM flegz wrote:

Thanks for the replies.........Studip question.......If I wanted to get a sub for this system, how do I get a line source to the sub from a Dynakit st-70?

And.......Should a tube amp power the sub?

Flegz

STudiP Is aS Stupid dOEs..........
16.gif
----------------

Just run up to your local radio shack and buy a set of RCA Y adaptors plug these into the right and left outputs of your pas 3 and send one set of to the ST70 and the other to the sub.

Craig