Opinons on Dynavector 10x5?

BillH2121

Alrighty - the testing is done and there is no damage to my MC2102, C26, or the armwires of the jmw9. However, the Shure M97xE was apparently fried by the short or whatever happened the other night. I hooked up the old Shure V15III to the Scout last night and it sounds pretty good - but I know that after 25 years the canteliver must be deteriorating by now. During my conversation with a tech at VPI, he highly recommeded the Dynavector 10x5 as a low cost cart that mates well with the jmw arm. $350 - $375 is about the most I can afford and I really don't want to go used cart on this. Anyone own the Dynavector or heard it - what do you think?

I guess this combo will sound good, but of course dealers' recommendations are not only based on performance 9.gif .

Okay, I might be a bit unfair here, but for the money I'd still consider......yep, the Garrott P-77. If you run a search you'll find that those people who did venture and tried a cart that not too many people know about were/are pretty pleased with what they are hearing.

Well, I did and I am not sorry 2.gif .

Sorry, couldn't resist 9.gif9.gif9.gif .

Wolfram

I had hoped with the great review in Stereophile and reports by others who like this cart, more people on this Board would have had some experience with the Dynavector 10x5. Hey Wolfram, I haven't neglected your post - I'm researching the Garrott and it does appear to have some devoted fans. Both the Garrott and the Dynavector are similarly priced - so it may be a good fit. I know that VPI sells Dynavectors with their arms and TTs, but I didn't think they were involved in production - so is there a profit motive, or does VPI just believe Dynavector is a good match for their arms (yes, I realize there's a business relationship there, but does that preclude the fact that cart is a great match with the jmw arm)?

BTW, Shure says that M97xE will outperform my old V15III, that's its wiser and probably cheaper to buy a new M97 than a new stylus for the V15. I haven't found that to be the case. Maybe I never got the M97 "dialed in" or it was defective or something, but the V15 on my Scout sounds better. It tracks much better - bigger soundstage, smoother sound throughout the range, and I think has a lot more detail.

Hi Randy - I'm not complaining - I'm just wondering if maybe this cart isn't as popular as I thought. The only reason I'm hovering over the computer this weekend is I'm trying to sell some tennis racquets on another site so I'm checking often. I'm sure I'll get some great advice eventually from the knowledgeable members of this Board - I always do!

Bill,

that's okay. I expect there are a lot more Dynavector users out there than Garrott 'freaks'. Also I am not saying it's the 'end all' MM cart, but for its price it's definitely worth considering. Compared to my previous Ortofon I find it musically more involving and -if I wasn't too curious again 9.gif- I could certainly live with it without feeling that I have to 'upgrade' soon.

Wolfram

Hi Randy - I did just that and got responses that steered me towards the Benz line of carts. I then talked to a dealer in Dallas and after discussion of alternatives, decided to go with the Benz ACE. I'm going down Saturday to buy it and the dealer insists on installing it (no one has any carts in stock in Okla City, except Shure DJ models). That's fine with me - I have limited experience in that area and he apparently has vast experience and a great interest in doing it right. Benz allows a trade in on their carts and I'm getting $100 for my old M97xE. If anyone's interested, I'll report on my impression of the Benz ACE next week.

Bill

Smart move, I know that the Dynavector is a great match for the Rega arms but don't know is it is a great match for yours and the people that have a arm like yours would know what sounds best with it. Also having the dealer set up the arm with the cart. is probably better also, seeing he probably does it all the time he will get it right on the mark. Have fun and good luck !9.gif