Eico HF-81 vs Dynaco ST-70

flegz

I've just shipped my Dyanco ST-70 and PAS 2 off to Bill Bittle,http://home.alltel.net/wbittle1, to be refurbished. As I await their return, I find myself still very intersted in the EICO HF-81. I have never had the opportunity to listen to either system, but I have read alot on both.. For those who have had the ability to A/B these two, I'd really like your feedback! I have a pair of Heresy I's. How do they compare........

4.gif4.gif4.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif16.gif16.gif

I'm probably giving the minority report here, but I've had both (still have two HF-81's) and the Eico is my preference. Such a preference is patently subjective, of course, but I found the Eico's with plenty of power for my listening on Heritage speakers. Also, the Eico has a triode front end, which may contribute to my sound preference.

Hey DAD.D

Thanks...Is it the separation, soundstage, smoothness....I know it's hard articulate these things, but what does the HF-81 do better...at 14w/channel many think it has plenty of power...Is there enough oomph...?

To my ears, the Eico sounds sweeter. I usually don't try to say more, because I'm not sure I comprehend things like soundstage and such. It does have enough oooompfh for me, however, I should offer the disclaimer that my 2A3 at 3.5 wpc is fine, too. If you do a google on hf-81, you'll find a nice review by "mobile homeless" Kelly Holsten who is a forum member. He's not around here much now, but he is someone who really likes the HF-81 and has a well articulated review. I found what he wrote resonated pretty well with my experience.

What refurbishing will he do on the ST-70? If he changes the front end it sure isn't an ST-70 anymore. Mine now has three 6922s working it. Sweet sound. The 7199s were okay too, but I like my new configuration. This is so subjective.

Marvel

heY!

The plan is to bring it back pretty much to stock but using higher end parts ie. Auricaps etc...I really trust his judgement. I hope he sees this thread and can expand on his thoughts...

1.gif

Was your ST-70 working at spec prior to making the MOD? Many think the original guys got it right...I'm too much of a novice, so I'll begin with a refurbished to original ST-70 and go from there.. I think I have an HF-81 coming my way soon(might need some work), so I'll have the opportunity in a month or so to give them both an in depth listen.....I have been listening to a SS Harmon Kardon 630 and I have to say I'm really enjoying it!! I'm sure I'll totally enjoy going tube!!

9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif

Hi,

I can't compare the two, I have a HF-81 driving a pair of Fortes in a 14x 25 foot room and the sound levels produced can be VERY loud. The amp is very sweet and is articulate ... great on female voice and acoustic jazz. However it can rock very well and for it's power has a very controlled bass.