Multi Channel Cables

Drew in the desert

(at the risk of being attacked by the griffinator again)

i personally made my own cables to the exact length i needed between my SACD player and my receiver

i used belden RG-59 cable (copper center with copper braid) and switchcraft RCA connectors

probably a total investment of less than $20 for all 6 cables (each about 1.5 feet long) and the sound is great!!!

took me about 30 minutes to solder the connections

1.gif

Guest Anonymous

Drew-

I have made my own cables before, and they are very easy to do. The only thing that you need to keep in mind is getting the conductors right and making sure that you have a good solder joint. I was not overly impressed with the outcome of my cables, so I did not use them for very long.

As for the quality of the cables, The important thing to buy is something with a good shielding on it and a true 75 ohm conductor. If you buy a cable with these two components you will end up with something that sounds good. Quality is important, but you don't need to buy kimber either. Keep in mind that the physics behind wiring is pretty basic, so don't buy into all that Monster Cable stuff.

Best

-George

----------------

On 4/13/2005 4:11:44 PM Drew in the desert wrote:

I've actually been thinking about making my own cables. I've never done it before. Where did you get the cable and terminations, Parts Express?

What should I keep in mind if I decide to DIY? Is there anything I can really mess up?

----------------

i got the connectors and cable at a local electronics distributor here in minneapolis

make sure you get RG-59 with solid copper center and copper braid for the shield material...

1.gif

What's up Drew. I use 3 pairs of Kimber Kable Hero's, and I've auditioned them with some cheaper cables, and there is only the slightest of slight differences. I think you'll be happy with the suggestions made above, or maybe even bettercables or bluejeanscable. I know they sell analog cables in sets, specifically for multichannel playback, so those might fit in your budget.

----------------

On 4/16/2005 5:29:30 PM sivadselim wrote:

don't use plain analog cables unless they're 75ohm.

the suggestion of 2 sets of component video cables (2 x 3 = 6) will work well.

----------------

why do you suggest 75 ohm cables for this appilcation?

SACD and DVD-audio outputs are NOT 75 ohm output impedance....

having said that.... my recommendation above is a 75 ohm cable....

2.gif

----------------

On 4/18/2005 2:01:25 PM Drew in the desert wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I am a little confused as to the suggestion of a 75ohm cable. Are 75ohm cables required to pass SACD and DVD-A efficiently? I thought a decent analog cable would be fine.

----------------

75 ohm cables are NOT required for SACD and DVD-audio..... any good audio cables will work

1.gif

Guest Anonymous

Drew-

75 ohm cables are not required, but that is a good quality to look for when purchasing cables. I would highly reccomend this; a cable like bluejeanscable or canare both are 75 ohm cables.

Good Luck-

George