'Buzzing' noise from speakers - 100% independant from volume!

kenratboy

All of my speakers have a VERY faint (literally need to stick my ear INSIDE the horn in a silent room!) 60 hz./hi-voltage buzzing noise. Not a bother, but trying to figure out what it might be.

It is my Harman Kardon AVR 635.

The funny thing is it is independant from the volume, so be it muted or 0 dB., it is the same.

Any ideas? Not a bother, but if I can get rid of it, it will just make me feel better.

Could I just be picking up interference from another device?

have you tried a different amp/receiver?

and is it on all sources?

many receivers/amps will have some very low noise.... with my carver pro ZR amp i can hear a slight hiss at about 6 inches and closer to the tweeter horn on my KLF-30's

any furthur away it can't be heard

it is possible that a surge protector/power conditioner with some filtering capabilities might reduce that hiss/noise somewhat

1.gif

----------------

On 4/13/2005 3:21:50 PM kenratboy wrote:

Would one of the Panamax 'power centers' do anything? I can get them at a dealer discount, so it is a good deal.

----------------

very possibly.... i would take one home and try it

as to amy's ground loop suggestion.... usually a ground loop noise is much louder than what you are describing

but always try all ways to solve the problem.... unplug the various devices in your system one at a time and see if the hiss/noise changes or goes away

1.gif

• Moderators

I've heard ground loops at different volume levels, but yes, none so quiet that you have to put your ear up to the speaker. But who knows, he could be hard of hearing from blasting those new Synergy speakers 9.gif

----------------

On 4/13/2005 3:47:49 PM Amy Unger wrote:

I've heard ground loops at different volume levels, but yes, none so quiet that you have to put your ear up to the speaker. But who knows, he could be hard of hearing from blasting those new Synergy speakers
9.gif
----------------

So, when will my center show up? Hard to blast movies without it. I hope it is not sitting in a cargo container in some musty Chinese port - I am expecting the FedEx guy any day now! 9.gif

----------------

On 4/13/2005 3:00:59 PM kenratboy wrote:

All of my speakers have a VERY faint (literally need to stick my ear INSIDE the horn in a silent room!) 60 hz./hi-voltage buzzing noise. Not a bother, but trying to figure out what it might be.

----------------

Not trying to a smart a$$ here but this reminds me of the old joke:

Patient: "Hey Doc, it hurts when I do this."

Doctor: "Then don't do that."

If it's faint enough where you literally have to stick your head in the horn to hear it I'd just forget about it if I were you. My system hums alot worse than that, but when the music plays I can't hear it and it doesn't really bother me that much anymore.

Please, let's not worry about things that do not need to be worried about. If you only hear the hum when your head is inside the horn, but not in your easy chair - then it is simple. There is no problem, 'cause the "problem" can not be heard.

A thought: the Klipsch speakers are very efficient. This efficiency has a number of consequences. Many of these are the reasons that we love them. However, it also means that any problems "upstream" will be heard "downstream". It really could be as simple as an interconnect lying on top of a power cord or some such glitch. Please do not spend a lot of money on wire or power conditioners etc. First, it is not clear that there is a problem (i.e., can you hear it at your easy chair) or second, can it fixed simply (re-route your power cords).

I get perturbed when I think good folks are being "taken" by those who make a profit by selling (in some cases) snake oil. This is why I am preaching...

Enjoy the sound,

-Tom

It is normal. Lots of amps/recievers have a little hiss to them if you stick your head in the horn. It is extremely low level noise and nothing to worry about. Hmmm.....sticking your head in the horn.....that might just say something, I just don't know what. Maybe your just a hornophile!3.gif