whoops!

boa12

also posted this in odds & mods but maybe better here:

one of my klf-C7 fell & hit the entertainment cabinet doing damage to both. after glueing

& fixing the cabinet, still need to try on the C7. it's cabinet cracked fairly deep near a

corner & a few scratches here & there. it's the black satin finish.

figure some black wood putty to fill the cracks & a black marker to touch-up scratch

marks. that sound right & any product recommendations? maybe a better filler for

acoustics?

boa, used some "wood bondo" on a friend's older speaker a few months ago(spike) and it worked great.Got it at Lowe's.Can't remember the brand name.Dries quickly and hard.Just about like the auto body filler.Says sands and drills like wood when cured.I leveled with putty knife after a minute or so and needed no sanding.Does't take a stain well.The black marker may work though.Condolences on the accident.

Keith

thanks keith. jim c. recommended wood glue. have some of that already. probably won't be too pretty when I do it. may take it to a wood shop.

the dealer was ordering a new cabinet from klipsch & said that alone is $200. hell could get a new 1 for $300. i'll stop that tomorrow.

no bondo!

1. remove the drivers.

2. clean the entire inside of the enclosure, remove fiberglass and staples, network, use a leaf blower and blow out dust.

3. if cracked mitre joint

a)scrape the inside corner clean of dried glue, get down to the MDF or plywood.

b)cut a 3/4" X 3/4" rub block about 1" less in length than the inside length of the joint.

c) liberally paint all mating surfaces with yellow glue or animal glue.

d) work (rub) the block into the joint, until it doesn't move. leave it alone till dry.

4. For the outside of the enclosure, clean the crack (if at the mitre) free from old glue, use a razor. Open the crack to allow filling.

Fill with a ebony wood putty.

if you need a rub block, buy a sq. dowel at lumber yard and cut it to length. If the LLC has already installed rub blocks (possible since they are manufactured a "tad" better than Emerson) they procedure will not work.

If the panel cracked, the procedure is same but instead of using a rub block, bridge the crack from the inside with a 1/2" thick plywood panel about 1" wide and cut the length of the crack, paint both mating sides with glue and two clamps.

This message has been edited by John Warren on 08-28-2001 at 05:39 AM