Cleaning out my MA 6400

fgarib

Hi,

Just a small question. My integrated Macintosh 6400 has developed a little crackling in the left channel. It gets ok after I turn the balance knob back and forth a little bit. But it comes and goes.

Carbon on the insides? That's my guess. I figure it's easy enough to open and spray clean the thing with WD 40, or the like. But I wanted to make sure with you guys first. Also, if you have any tips on being cautious, I'd appreciate them also.

Please help. Can't sit straight with the amp sounding like that.

-F

NOT WD40!

Use Caig's Cramolin/DeOxIT to clean and or PreservIT to clean and lube pots. PartsExpress sells it in various formats and sizes.

Don't let the name confuse you. Cramolin was the original name and now De-OxIt is a current name. Pro-Gold is also available but it is essentially the same.

This stuff works, And its a great way to avoid using gold in lieu of copper or silver contacts. (It also produces measureable improvements in BER (bit error rates) in data transfers.)

Hmmm..

Dragonfyr, that stuff's not that easy to get in Pakistan. Will check though to see what's available, besides WD40... Just for my own reference, why not WD40? I've seen audio repair guys using it all the time.

Also, is it easy enough to access the balance pots (?) once the top is open on this amp?

Thanks for the help.

-F

I would not use WD40, it will leave a residue that is oily and will only attract more dust and dirt.

There are several electrical contact cleaners on the market

The one we use is made by LPS. It comes in an aerosol can just like WD40, it cleans and dries very quickly and leaves no residue

Contact Cleaner

or LPS site

http://www.lpslabs.com/Products/ElectricalCleaners/ElectricalCleaner.asp'> LPS Site

Steve