RSW 15 ?

BobbyT

that PC-Ultra will OWN the rsw15 on movies with real deep bass. The rsw15 is good till about 22-24hz or so. even if its corner loaded well it still won't go very deep. If your going to play mainly music get the rsw15. But i should ask if these are the only ones your looking into. do you have any other sub choices? if you want to get the MOST for your money id look else where before the rsw's(unless you can get a really good deal on one).

scp53

----------------

On 4/19/2005 3:47:57 PM BobbyT wrote:

How low is a RSW15 capable of getting corner loaded in a room? I'm deciding between the 15 and a PC Ultra. Music has the priority but I still want good performance with movies.

----------------

No where near a PC Ultra, however it all depends on your room characteristics, dimensions, and what you mean by how low at a given volume. You'll get more output from an RSW-15 and it'll be more of a brute around the 35+ range, but the Ultra will extend solidly beyond the subsonic. It's definitely a trade-off. Nousaine rates response significantly decreased at 20 Hz (97 uncorrected I believe), and to somewhat answer your question...there's no guarantee that the frequencies boosted via corner loading will be those you specifically desire to enhanse.

There are quite a few variables. It sounds like music is your primary goal and the RSW-15 isn't a slouch in the HT department. All depends on your goals.

Music performance is my main goal. But I don't want to miss anything when watching movies like The Incredibles or one of the Star Wars movies. That said my current sub is a diy Dayton DVC with parts express 250 watt amp. Due to a break in in my garage diy is out of the question. No tools.

Any reccomendations in the price range of these 2 subs?

----------------

On 4/19/2005 6:49:21 PM BobbyT wrote:

Any reccomendations in the price range of these 2 subs?

----------------

2 (!) of the 15" Titanic Kits from PE?

I assembled one in my living room with a philips and 5/32 hex screwdrivers, so really there are no tools required.

In a decent sized room they should go as deep as the RSW-15 or thereabouts... and they're great for music. And you get to have TWO!

With some EQ from either the onboard 1-band PEQ, or the Behringer BFD ($99 at partsexpress right now) you can probably get them flat to 22Hz. It's true that they are not good for bass below 20Hz, unlike the SVS subs, but the Titanics are very clean and articulate.

----------------

On 4/19/2005 5:20:09 PM meuge wrote:

If music is your priority, I would say the RSW-15 has the edge. The Ultra will probably own it with regards to output below 25Hz, but the RSW will probably be much cleaner, and offer better impact and quicker decay.

----------------

Such are the myths of the SVS vs Klipsch debate. Clarity from a TV12 driver is outstanding. That said, the product is designed to be as flat as possible while the RSW15 can be called slightly "punchy." I haven't done a side by side.

You say you wouldn't want to miss anything regarding subsonic HT and music is your main goal. You have chosen 2 products that are some of the best in their fields each for one of these 2 priorities.

You must choose wisely my son. 9.gif

i know that SVS has a very good return policy. see if you can procure an rsw15 with the same sort of assurances regarding returning it from the dealer. then try 'em both. it might be a bit of a hassle to repack either of those monsters, but if you really want to satisfy your curiosity, that's what you oughta do.

No to offend anyone!!

I know SVS is an internet based company without stores where you can hear their products and compare them to other products. Therefore I'm wondering if those who praise SVS have really personal experience with all the models you recommend to others in different posts? Did they really compare them to the Klipsch subs or did they get their knowledge from hear-say?

Repeating comments like "the XXX easily outperforms the YYY" or "XXX for HT and YYY for music" without personal expierience doesn't really help!

Thanks for all of the help everyone. Between my 2 posts i am starting to lean toword the single or double titanic kits. While SVS has an impeccable reputation I've never heard one. Coupled with the facts that I do have experience with Dayton and music is the priority it all sways my decision in Dayton's favor.

Yes, I have both 2-Velo HGS18series2 and the SVS PC-Ultra as well as access to lots of custom subs.

Short of the Velodynes, the SVS kicks rear! And I say that as I was perhaps the biggest SVS skeptic around.

They deliver. And I get a kick out of the speculation that they only have low frequency extension but aren't good with music!

I only care about the music, although they do HT as well! As far as I am concerened , HT low frequencies are simply special effects, and I don't really care if an explosion is reproduced to within a hair of the actual explosion's actual frequency response, just as I don't care if the intro music to Jerry Springer is perfect! But I DO require accurate musical playback!! And, as I have said, while there are several subs I would love to audition (the Titanic 15s being among them), I have yet to hear a sub short of the Velo HGS18 or DD18 top the SVS for anywhere near the price. (And don't trot out some $4500 sub for the purpose of debate and say they can beat them! They had better! But then we can debate whether they can top the Velodynes for low freq, high output, LOW distortion bass! Another animal entirely!)

The SVS rock for music reproduction, and they throw in the efficiency and low frequency extension many others can only dream about.

Quit whining and try them out! And they are EASILY repacked!!!!! But you won't be sending them back!

I think you will be happy with either, but I do get a kick out of the irony of the argument that someone hasn't heard the SVS, so they go with another mail order sub such as the Titanic!

I know I have personally gotten alot of insight from the Parts Express website (NOT!) with their almost complete lack of useful specs. I wish they would augment them in a more meaningful way!!!

I suspect that you will like either.

----------------

On 4/24/2005 6:21:06 AM dragonfyr wrote:

I think you will be happy with either, but I do get a kick out of the irony of the argument that someone hasn't heard the SVS, so they go with another mail order sub such as the Titanic!

----------------

I may not have mentioned it but I went with Dayton because I have used Dayton subs for diy with great results. As I am familiar with them I stuck with what I know.

SVS has an excellent reputation and there has to be something to it. I would love to hear one someday. But for now I stuck with what I know. Plus the "what I know" is on sale for $650 free shipping 1.gif.

----------------

I may not have mentioned it but I went with Dayton because I have used Dayton subs for diy with great results. As I am familiar with them I stuck with what I know.

SVS has an excellent reputation and there has to be something to it. I would love to hear one someday. But for now I stuck with what I know. Plus the "what I know" is on sale for $650 free shipping 1.gif.

----------------

(It was a general reference!)

That makes sense to me!

Enjoy!