Looking for that preamp/amp holy grail

boa12

I want a preamp/processor with 8 outputs & all the features, decoders & processors of that new denon 4802 receiver. & then i want a nice power amp that'll do up to 150WX7. klipsch/mondial are you listening?

why doesn't denon just hack off the power transformers & such and turn out like a 4802 preamp? wouldn't that cut at least $500 off the price to put toward a seperate power amp?

anywho, i've decided to go w/ seperate power amp(s) for sure. but is there a good seperate preamp/processor out there that comes close to all the features, modes, remote controls of the denon 4802 for under $1500???

i'm talkin dolby ex & prologic II, dts es discrete 6.1 & dts neo, thx post processing, adjustable crossover,

2 sets of surrounds PLUS rear surrounds, learning universal remote, 5/6/7 channel stereo, component video switching, etc, etc.

looks like denon's way ahead of the game for useable features all in one box. guess u just have to buy the amps w/ them. not saying their amps are bad - just like that seperates sound. cwm35.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect/Monster MCX-2 biwire & Z cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS1000 PowerCenter

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Monster MCX-1 Biwire

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 09-04-2001 at 10:05 PM

Put me down for a me too on that one. All I am looking for is a good quality surround sound preamp that I can match to tube monoblocks (one for each speaker). I dont even care if it doesnt do stereo too well as I have a preamp for stereo.

Not sure on the price Boa - but you might want to take a look at Tag Maclaren preamps. Only seen one but it seemed to have a lot of features on it and the sound seemed good (of course that was relative to an integrated Yamaha so not much of an indication really...)

you're asking for tons of features for that low of a price...

the Parasound AVC 2500u that I'm leaning heavily towards comes close, but at around $2500, it still does not have ALL of the features you want, and it's $1000 more than you want to spend...

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V -5-way w/15" woofers

Center: KLF C7

Rear Surround: Polk RT f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x3; 25x2

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Sony Playstation connected to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!

thanks for the suggestions! i should have said seperate all-in-1 tuner/preamp/processor. yes i do want it all & for, ok under $2000. Biggrin.gif

i think it's coming. just that denon seems to wait until about april after CES to out do the others for those features.

like that easy upgradability on that ATI tom mentioned.

would really like to have that too.

This message has been edited by boa12 on 08-29-2001 at 11:38 AM

ok thanks for the referrals but looks like for all the gizmos denon is it. can get a 4802 for under $2k & get

7 channel amp as added bonus. kinda looking toward that as a preamp w/ a marantz MM9000 150WX5 power amp.

i could be the great unifier putting a denon w/ a marantz Biggrin.gif

This message has been edited by boa12 on 08-30-2001 at 08:08 PM

Anyone looking for a new power amp or processor should take a look at the CEDIA press releases after the show. Look for the info on Aragon. All the features you want, but certainly nowhere near $1500. Sorry! You get what you pay for and there's not much worth while in pre/pro's under about $2800. Under that price and you can do better by buying a nice receiver like the 4802. High-end receivers have raised the bar for what seperates need to accomplish and accordingly, their prices have gone up as the features have increased. Who'd have thought even a few years ago that there would be so many A/V receivers in the $2000-plus price range, let alone the ones pushing $4000!?! You'll see plenty of new goodies from everyone (Aragon included) when new stuff gets shown at CEDIA this week.

Jim

thanks for the tip jimg. i just got meself 1 of those acurus A200X5 amps off of ubid. but also picked up another C7 for 6.1. of course if that aragon pre has the features of a denon 4802 & 6 or better yet 7 channels, i'd take a serious look even if its $2k plus.

just pick up another acurus X2.

can u say how many channels/preouts on it? cwm35.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect/Monster MCX-2 biwire & Z cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS1000 PowerCenter

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Monster MCX-1 Biwire

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

rock on!

• 4 weeks later...

still on that 6.1/new features receiver/preamp quest. now have the acurus A200X5 & the injured C7 still in shop.

i really want that new 4802 but the things holding me back are that it isn't dsp/format

software upgradable (thanks for reminding me about that avman Smile.gif) & that adjustable

low pass crossover is global instead of specific to each speaker group.

on the other hand, i'm getting tired of waiting for everybody else to come out w/ a

new receiver or pre/pro

that matches those outstanding features of the 4802.

where's the new 6/7.1 harmon kardon, aragon stageone (jimg, still no info really), adcom, outlaw...? i can't wait

much longer. cwm16.gif

This message has been edited by boa12 on 10-02-2001 at 11:18 PM

yea shape hopefully that has more flexability on the low pass crossover than the 6.1 receiver (only goes to 60hz & believe that's also global). should be all kinds of new stuff coming out thru CES in jan. would like to give aragon a shot so may have to wait til next year. saw the perfect piece - lexicon mc-12 pre/pro. only problem is it's about 8 large. cwm35.gif

i've decided to definitely go the pre/pro route w/ a monoblock amp for the 6th channel for that upgradability & better bass mgmt. & besides i already have 3 receivers.

boa,

I've got a few two channel & Pro Logic units that are oversized paperweights stored here. They work, but are dated. Not sure I could enjoy that Lexicon at that price. Quite deep for my pockets. Plus, I'd go into cardiac arrest, if I couldn't hear light years of improvementEek.gif

Yea, kind of looking at a good pre/pro in the Outlaw 950's ballpark. Then begin with a tube amp upgrade for front channel, later add another for rear. I do have the flexibility to disassemble my rack and configure into two units. Ahhh additional space required. I've certainly got the time to think, plan & budget.

Wes

this B&K reference 30 pre/pro w/ am/fm tuner looks pretty nifty. http://www.bkcomp.com/ref.html can be had for a lil over $2k. reviews are good & many state sound is much better than their previous reference 20.

though it doesn't currently have DPLII nor DTS Neo:6, does have software & hardware upgradability. per the local dealer, should have a software upgrade out by year end.

& talk about bass mgmt, not only can u select a low pass cross in 10hz increments from 40-120hz for each speaker/channel group, u can even change the slope for each crossover.

also has a built in EQ to take out a notch in bass response due to room characteristics.

5 Year Warranty.

wonder how it would match w/ the acurus A200X5 amp?

need to demo this thing.

anybody have any thoughts/experiences w/ this unit, B&K, & or matching w/ an acurus amp?

This message has been edited by boa12 on 10-04-2001 at 03:00 AM