I think I am going to be maxing out my 15 amp circuit...

kenratboy

...the receiver takes 1000 watts max, TV takes a few hundred, subwoofer takes a ~300 watts max, etc.

15A X 120V = 1,800 W, correct?

Can I just shove a copper bar into the breaker box and have as many amps as I want 9.gif

Anyone blow a 15 amp breaker with a normal HT?

Remember also that your receiver probably isn't taking 1000 watts all the time, and the peaks it requires would be dampened a bit by the capacitors in the power supply (if they're still using those). So even at max volume, the 1000 watt input isn't that way long enough to heat up your home's wiring. Same with the Sub amp.

Perhaps there's an engineer type here who can give us a guide line for how much 'overage' we can have and not trip the breakers.

Many of the guys here have a 20 amp line installed when remodeling or doing a basement HT. It requires a heavier than normal line between the circuit box and outlets. The 20 amp outlets are recognizeable because one of the 'blade' sockets is in the shape of a 'T'.

Michael

I've got a 1000W sub, 7x200W amplifiers + RPTV + preamp + DVD + HDTV box + CD changer + misc and have never tripped the breaker even when I left the basement and cranked the volume from upstairs (while my wife's crazy uncle stayed in there "to see how loud it will go").

Music and movies vary so much they should just never trip a breaker - although I'm sure someone will chime in that they've done it at some point.

2.gif

Guest Anonymous

Ken-

The electrical system in your home and your hometheater do not work like that. You really have nothing to worry about unless you are running a dryer, a washer, a microwave, and your stereo on the same breaker at the same time. I wouldn't worry about a thing, even during large peaks your system will have no audible effects due to the volatge regulation circuits within your equipment. Also keep in mind that you are in DC within your electronics which is running at a very low amperage and your wall is AC running at a much higher amperage. If you are really concerned I would consider buying a voltage regulator/conditioner from TripLite. It will cost you about a $175.00 from partsexpress.com.

Good Luck-

George

House wiring has a 1 hour trip time at 200% of rated current.

IOW a 15A circuit will pass 30A for about an hour.

30A is 3.6KW at 120V. Because of duty cycle in music (peak-to-average ratio), you can probably get 7.2KW on program material out of a 15A 120V circuit.

----------------

On 4/21/2005 4:30:05 PM djk wrote:

House wiring has a 1 hour trip time at 200% of rated current.

IOW a 15A circuit will pass 30A for about an hour.

30A is 3.6KW at 120V. Because of duty cycle in music (peak-to-average ratio), you can probably get 7.2KW on program materiel out of a 15A 120V circuit.
----------------

Well that settles that!

Ken: I have a 20-AMP homerun circuit dedicated solely to my entire equipment rack. It feeds my Tripp Lite LCR 2400 Power Conditioner (20-AMP Load capacity), which in turn, feeds every component (it has 14, 15-AMP outlets) in the theater, including the projector. I have never had a tripped breaker! NEVER!

lcr2400a.jpg

It AIN'T PURDY, but it gets the job done! 2.gif