New kind of speaker invented

pauln

----------------

On 4/22/2005 1:32:48 PM DRBILL wrote:

That guy has a rude awakening when he visits the patent office. It was done c. 1974-5. (snip)

----------------

I would agree since I have witnessed this technology demonstrated by an entirely unrelated company. However, the patent office has granted any number of acoustic patents that either duplicate earlier work or are very minor tweaks thereof. Apparently, whoever the examiner is for that class of patents either does not understand the prinicples involved or does not bother to look too closely at prior art.

It would seem that new patents are awarded and await challenges from previous patent holders. Then the lawyers get involved. And it better be a hot item to pay for all of that. It is a flawed system. It was a constant headache for PWK.

DR BILL

Not the same speaker, but does anyone remember a glass plate tweeter, "Barcus-Barry" or something similar, that was written up in Time or Newsweek decades ago as the next big thing in audio?

Wouldn't you like a dollar for all of the "breaktrhough" transducers that have come and disappeared while Klipsch heritage just keeps on going?

Yes I heard those. A cousin had a system with those tweeters and I think 8 inch woofers. I recall (from a very limited audition) that they seemed very clear and sweet, if you got about 8 feet or more away. I don't know what happened to the company. I recall some discussion that the glass plate acted like a transmission line for the piezoelectric driver glued to the back. Paul used 'Major Breakthrough' along with 'O. Gadfly Hurtz' as noms de plume when he lampooned the 'next big things' throughout his long career. One could make a sizable web page on discarded driver designs of the past.

----------------

On 4/24/2005 5:44:03 PM DizRotus wrote:

Always a bad sign when lawyers get involved, right Dr. Bill?

----------------

Mine bills at $150 an hour. That's pretty bad for a retired priest. He says that's cheap.

DR BILL

DR BILL 14.gif