Tractrix horn and driver specs

cc1091

Looks like the linearity of this driver through its operational range is not great. Within 3db of peak from about 900hz to about 4500hz, then again at about 5500hz to about 11000hz. Output sure drops off around 15,000 hz. Odd that Klipsch rates these to 20,000 hz.

Perhaps I'm not reading enough into this. (?)

------------------

Denon AVR-2700

Denon DCD1500-II

Audio Control Octave

Phillips CDR-765

Nakamichi BX-100

Sony PS-LX3

Rotel RB-991

Klipsch Heresy (1981)

Klipsch RP-3

B&W602

MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire

Computer system:

NAD 7130

Realistic Optimus Pro-7s (its only a computer system)

Klipsch KSW-10

I do not know enough about this to be sure of this answer, but why should that stop me! If this is the correct driver, it's specs are when it is attached to one of B&C's horns. Perhaps the Tractrix horn changes the response of the driver?

------------------

L/C/R: Klipsch Heresy II

Surround: Klipsch RS-3

Subwoofers: 2 HSU-VTF-2

Pre/Pro/Tuner: McIntosh MX-132

AMP: McIntosh MC-7205

DVD: McIntosh MVP-831

CD Transport: Pioneer PD-F908 100 Disc Changer

Turntable: Denon DP-72L

Cassette: Nakamichi BX-1

T.V. : Mitsubishi 55905

SAT/HDTV: RCA DTC-100

Surge Protector: Monster Power HTS-5000

We're looking at raw driver output here. I am assuming that the crossover modifies the peaks SPL so that it never exceeds a certain range where the engineers have decided the response is acceptable (although I'm sure there is still some non-linearity left). I could be farting in the wind though. I'm only an interested onlooker in the game of serious speaker design.

I'm also not sure how dbs at 1watt at 1 meter equates to the SPL shown on this chart though.

Something we're also not sure about is if this IS the driver that Klipsch uses. djk only says that this is a "High Probability". I'll have to disassemble the face of my RP-3s tonight to see if there are any identifying characteristics besides Klipsch written on the driver.

------------------

Denon AVR-2700

Denon DCD1500-II

Audio Control Octave

Phillips CDR-765

Nakamichi BX-100

Sony PS-LX3

Rotel RB-991

Klipsch Heresy (1981)

Klipsch RP-3

B&W602

MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire

Computer system:

NAD 7130

Klipsch KSW-10

FWIW, it is noted under the specifications shown, item #1, that the driver is mounted on a B&C ME-45 horn. So it is not the raw driver. Always read the fine print! Item # 4 speaks to how the sensitivity is measured.

------------------

L/C/R: Klipsch Heresy II

Surround: Klipsch RS-3

Subwoofers: 2 HSU-VTF-2

Pre/Pro/Tuner: McIntosh MX-132

AMP: McIntosh MC-7205

DVD: McIntosh MVP-831

CD Transport: Pioneer PD-F908 100 Disc Changer

Turntable: Denon DP-72L

Cassette: Nakamichi BX-1

T.V. : Mitsubishi 55905

SAT/HDTV: RCA DTC-100

Surge Protector: Monster Power HTS-5000

Hmmm...Certainly doesn't look like the driver that is attached to the back of my tractrix horn. I could find any identifying marks on the driver, but did find th Klipsch label and model number on the plastic horn. Slide-on binding posts one next to the other on mine. Also, no fancy enclosure for the driver. What looks like a ring magnet attached to the back of the unit and then another ring magnet toward the front. Aluminum casing sandwiched between.

Perhaps this is made by B&C, but they didn't want anyone to know about it.

I tried to post the picture here, but somehow the link isn't working. E-mail me if you're curious.

------------------

Denon AVR-2700

Denon DCD1500-II

Audio Control Octave

Phillips CDR-765

Nakamichi BX-100

Sony PS-LX3

Rotel RB-991

Klipsch Heresy (1981)

Klipsch RP-3

B&W602

MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire

Computer system:

NAD 7130

Klipsch KSW-10

This message has been edited by cc1091 on 08-30-2001 at 10:23 PM

The RP-3 has a 6" square horn mounted in front of a 1" voice coil convex dome driver.I have six of these that were made by KSC.The B&C DE45 is a 1.75" voice coil concave dome driver.How high a compression driver goes is 3.5Khz .Then they start to roll off.What you end up with is a function of the directivity index of the horn and how much eq there is in the network. http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/294-410.pdf Here is a pdf file of a JBL 1" driver, the 2426.Note the difference between the raw terminated tube and the on horn response.Also note that the DCR of the 8 ohm driver is 3.3 ohms .Virually all 1" drivers look like this.Matter of fact you can take a JBL 1" diaphragm and install it in an Altec 820/804/806/808 and it will work.I have also used the 1" RCF N481 in JBL structures.My conjecture about B&C is based on private remarks from someone in Italy (where B&C is made).If I could get my hands on an RF-7 I could tell you for sure.