Woofer surround fix

Marvel

I have a set of JBL L56 speakers that I stored for a friend. Unlike the 4311's woofers that have a pleated surround, these have the foam type. They have small splits in them, but no missing pieces.

Without actually having them refoamed, can a cheaper repair be made? Coat with RTV in thin layers, etc.?

Dennis, you out there?

Marvel

If the surround is intact I have used this stuff:

http://www.weldbondusa.com/

Thin it with water for the first couple of coats (until the pores in the foam fill up), wait 30~60 minutes between coats. The foam will be very soft when wet, do not poke the brush through the foam. Let it dry for several hours and then give it one last coat.

Splits, holes, and boo-boos may be fixed with a patch cut from a plastic sandwich baggie and glued to the back side of the foam.

Works well on paper surround guitar speakers too.

I salvaged a set of four JBL2205 cloth edge woofers that had split surrounds around 80% of the edge, just built up multiple layers of this stuff (full strength) and let dry overnight between coats. Ran another five years before they had to be replaced. These were being pounded in a very big club on a nightly basis.

Thanks Dennis. I finally found your info on audioasylum (which seems to be having troubles).

A $6 tube of Weldbond beats $25 anyday, and time is not a problem. It wouldn't matter if it took me a couple of weeks to do it. These speakers aren't even going to get stressed much once they are back in service. The original owner used to rock 'n roll with the best of them, but now that he is in his late 40s has settled down. 9.gif

I can understand the change in compliance. With the spits, there is now no real reference on these, so neither he nor I will really be able to tell much. They were lacking mids, which might make sense with the splits in the surround. These cross at 2.2K.

He has been using a boom box for the past three years or so. They will sound great to him. If I mess up, I'll just order the refoam kits. If he gets one more year out of them I'll be happy. The walnut cabs are in perfect condition.

Marvel

"Just be aware that the compliance characteristics will change...."

As if it hasn't now? Or you replace the foam with a generic kit? Get real.

"Probable less time consuming than so many coats of the patching cement."

Do you watch paint dry too? Get real, it takes two minutes and then you come back later. OTOH it takes much longer to do a good job replacing the foam.