Tube pre; solid amp

Most of the time I hear it is better to use a tube preamp with a SS amp so I guess I'm bass ackwards! I use a 2004 Luxman int amp as a preamp with a Cayin TA 30 tube int amp with very good results. Next year I want to try tubes for both preamp and amp. If you have a good SS preamp with a good tube amp then you can get very good results. My stuff works great together other components may not work as well together. Try whatever combo you want to and if it does not work then sell it and try something else.

Xman

The last time I tried a SS combination was with a Bryston BP-20 and 3B-ST, and I thought it sounded pretty obnoxious. I switched out the BP-20 for an AES AE-3 DJH, and the sound went from crap to pretty darn good. Things got even better when I dumped the Bryston in favor of the matching AES AE-25. A decent tube combo is very hard to beat, but if you're going to stick with a SS amp, a nice tube preamp really helps things along. However, this is just what I think, which doesn't amount to much in the scheme of things.