Upgrading from La Scalas to Khorn..................................

triode

Has anyone here upgraded from La Scalas or Belles to the Khorns and did not place the Khorns in proper corns immediately?

If so, how did they work compared to the La Scalas? I will have to build some false corners eventually, but I was wondering if anyone tried the Khorns against a straight Wall and how they compared with the La Scalas. Better or Worse?

Triode,

Let me encourage you to build the false corner(s) "sooner rather than later" There are some excellent threads showing some variations that might be easier/quicker for you to build or to fit into an existing environment.

Positioning them in a corner or false corner really does make a difference. I will even pat myself on the back and suggest that you look at my thread on building a false corner - this was a modified design that might be more workable for you and really did not take long to build.

Good luck,

-Tom

Gee Triode I thought that I made such a persuasive argument for immediately building a corner that the comparison between K-Horns (without a corner) and the other speakers was so short-lived that it would not be an issue. I must learn to be more assertive.

Enjoy the K-Horns, they really are remarkable.

-Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Since no one answered my question, I had to answer it myself.

I brought the Khorns home, and while they are not in the corners it is a Huge upgrade over the La Scalas! I was using a Subwoofer with the La Scalas and continue to use it with the Khorns.

I can now enjoy them, while my basement project for the next 6 months takes place. Then I'll place them in the corners and decide if the subwoofer stays or not.

So Bottom Line is get the Khorns, even if you don't have proper corners.1.gif

I was wondering if anyone tried the Khorns against a straight Wall

I have both..

K horns mids and highs taller sound better.. Also K's go lower, you WILL feel it. K's have to have a corner, period. Even better sounding if not much stuff around or on the walls behind them or on the sides too.

LaScalas, big footprint, you can toe them in, same mids n highs as a K horn. They need a sub for home theater especially.

Unless you build a false wall platform with false walls, K horns will not work as designed!!

I've had Khorns playing in my shop a few times while NOT in corners and they still sound very nice. I was surprised that they still produced the deep bass just fine, I think it's the higher bass notes that are lost without the corners.

Greg