RB-15 or RB-35

malechi

I'm considering two options here...

1- Upgrade my RB-25s to RB-35s and move the RB-25s to rear surround duty but then I'll have an itch to upgrade my RC-3 to the RC-35 match the mains. Not to mention upgrading my RS-25's

2- Buy a set of RB-15s for rear surrounds.

RB-15's would be the cheaper option.

----------------

On 4/26/2005 11:44:40 AM malechi wrote:

I'm considering two options here...

1- Upgrade my RB-25s to RB-35s and move the RB-25s to rear surround duty but then I'll have an itch to upgrade my RC-3 to the RC-35 match the mains. Not to mention upgrading my RS-25's

----------------

I would choose option 1. The RC-3 is a good center and I don't think the RC-35 would be much (if any) of an upgrade IMO. 1.gif

The 15's are fine for rear surrounds. I have RF-25 fronts, RC-25 center, and had first RB-15's and then on to RB-25's for surrounds but in my smallish living room they were a tad too directional, so I tried RS-25's and RS-35's and settled on the RS-35's to have a smoother sound dispersion for HT. Moved the 15's to the shop and the 25's downstairs with a sub for a 2.1 system. Now, I add in the RB-15's or RB-25's upstairs if desired for the rear surround channel to go to 7.1 from the normal 5.1 setup. With a sub the 15's are just fine if crossed at 80hz as the minimum point as they have little response below there.

If you are referring to me I meant option 1. Upgrading your mains to RB-35's would seem to be more of an upgrade and at the same time you would be moving your RB-25's to rear surrounds, which would also be an upgrade.

I am not familiar with your Denon, but if it is a 7.1 receiver, then you will have 7.1. If not, does it allow 2 sets of side surrounds (my Denons do) and you could use both your RB-25's and your RS-25's as side surrounds, independently or together.

To be honest a REAL upgrade would be save up for the RB-75's.

Your sub is handling everything below 80 Hz (or wherever you have it set) Your mains handle everything above that.Going from the 5 inch horn and 6.5 inch woofer to a 6 inch horn and 8 inch woofer in your mains will make a difference IMHO--if not make sure you can take them back if I'm wrong. 2.gif

The rb-75s sound amazing, even in the local Soundtrack demo room, but honestly for home theater I think there is a bigger difference going from rb-25s to -35s than than the step up from -35s to -75s. Music would be different, but the upgrade to rb-35s will still be substantial and well worth the money. I would agree with TDK that there is little need to upgrade your rc-3 to an rc-35 in the near future.

I am using four rb-35s for surrounds in a 7.1 system, and they sound fantastic, with a much better sound stage and better mid-range than rb-25's.

Scott