woofer tester at PE

DrWho

I came across a cool toy over at partsexpress and figured I would drop the link for anyone interested. If only I had $150 to spend (and a lot more money to buy drivers to test with it, lol). To sum it up, it's basically a box that you plug into your pc that will measure all the T/S parameters of your woofers.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=390-802&raid=25&rak=390-802

It's finally available, again! I've got to have one!!!

Rob, I don't have one, yet. I've been bugging PE for at least a year, off and on. What are you doing in Mentreal? I thought you went to Denver(?).

John... finally someone I "know" who has one. What do you think of it? And has it provided better modeling though proper T/S measurement? What kind of output does it provide (graphical, numerical ...)

I have been curious about it's performance -vs- some DIY versions. I posted about it the HTF forums in the Anyone tried the PartsExpress Woofer Tester 2 (WT2) thread, but haven't received to many replies.

I don't really have an extra 150$ to throw around either... but it might be worth it for the sake of knowledge. I would like to get an ECM8000 measurement mic first though... 2.gif

Rob

Oh man, I can't find the link but I know of a microphone that can be purchased for dirt cheap (like under $10) that has a completely flat response from 10Hz-20kHz (or something insane like that). You'll need some soldering skills and some wierd parts to achieve this, but you end up with a very good measurement microphone. I had the link on my old pc that got stolen, but I think it might be worth the effort to try and dig it up again. The same website also had a mod to make the frequency response of the RS meter faster and more linear using a similar microphone from the same place. You could even adjust how fast the needle responded to the input signal (even as far as not being able to hold the meter in your hand because it'd move the needle too much). I know it's no ECM8000, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper.

I would also love to hear John's opinions with the unit and what all it tests for. $150 is a bit steep, but it would be a real fun tool.

----------------

On 5/3/2005 1:03:54 AM DrWho wrote:

I know it's no ECM8000, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper.

----------------

I just wanted to add the the ECM8000 sells for 49$ (without a mic amp)... versus 39$ for the RatShack SPL meter. A 10$ mic would save you 40$ before parts and labour... but i'm not sure if i'd call "heck of alot cheaper"... 2.gif

lol, I must be thinking of another mic then...I wonder if I can't find a model number with 8000 in it, lol. I swear the one we used at work was a something 8000 something and it was really expensive (it came with all the cool mounting toys and windscreen container, etc etc).

Btw, the mic and the RS meter are two different mics/two different mods. The measurement mic was like $10 and I think the meter mod was like $30