New VPI Scout Fair Price???

rplace

Not looking for the absolute cheapest price by pinging every seller known to man, but as a ball park price is 1700-1750 for a new Scout turntable with Dynavector 10X5 cart reasonable?

Anyone else have a better suggestion for a cartridge? If so what is it and why? Do you speak from experience?

The reason I ask is I have been kicking around the likes of a new Music Hall MMF-5 or Pro-Ject Xpression-1 in the 400-600 dollar range and am thinking it will just be a matter of 1 year or less and I will have upgrade bug.

Thoughts/suggestions welcomed.

I sold that same cart about 1 year ago with 40 hours on it (brought $425.00 on ebay). I liked it a lot, only reason i sold was move up to a Lyra helikon. The Table with arm? If so what arm? Sounds like a respectable deal, depending on arm could be a great deal.

enjoy!

Yes it has the arm JMW-9. Not too tough to tell I am new at this TT thing, eh? Any TT I had in the past came as an all in one set (TT, Cart. arm, etc). Thanks for the cartridge info...just checking though - I was told by the dealer that retail on the 10X5 was 375. Was yours perhaps a different Dynavector?

Thanks, Rich

----------------

On 5/2/2005 5:23:02 PM rplace wrote:

Yes it has the arm JMW-9. Not too tough to tell I am new at this TT thing, eh? Any TT I had in the past came as an all in one set (TT, Cart. arm, etc). Thanks for the cartridge info...just checking though. I was told by the dealer that retail on the 10X5 was 375. Was yours perhaps a different Dynavector?

Thanks, Rich

----------------

My mistake mine was the 20 low output. Seems fair. Did you check Agon?

The 1100 to 1500 ones on agon that are used or demos are all but sold. If I was going to pay aprox 1300 (average price) for used or demo, then buy I a cart, I would think I would be better off with 1700+/- and a totally new set up. I guess I could hold out for a 1K deal...but I am growing impatient.

Just started Using a Benz Silver which is growing on me very fast 1.gif I was using a Goldring Eroica H which I also liked but I think the Benz is the winner of the two cartridges. I have no experience with the Dyna. I'm sure the models up the chain from Benz must be very nice.

Craig

Take a look at the Benz ACE - its $550, but you get a $100 trade-in for any cart you want to trade (working or not). The ACE is the lowest cost Benz that is handmade in Switzerland. At $450, its not that much more than the Benz Silver or Gold or the Dynavector 10x5. As my ACE is breaking-in, I'm enjoying more and more. It seems to work well with the Scout/jmw9 combo.

I've never heard that cart but have heard good reviews. I also I like your thinking on the whole "buy new" table thing. I'm sure once you decide what cart you want, you can make it part of the deal.

The table/arm alone is about $1600 new so that sounds like a good deal. You're much better off getting the whole thing over with now instead of having to sell a used table next year. That's never fun.

In other words, GO FOR IT!9.gif