Frequency response curves for RF-5's and RF-7s?

Hi...I asked Klipsch support tech for the frequency response curve on my RF-5's and was told that it wasn't currently available. Yesterday I e-mailed to see about frequency response curves for the RF-7's and suspect I'll get the same answer. Does anyone know where I find them?

Thanks...Hopkins Stanley

Independent tests have been published in the May, 2002 Sound & Vision and August, 2002 Home Theater for the Reference 7 family.

I also have an RTA of the room response of RF-7s with and without room correction on a Pioneer 49TX.

The room response is quite good when the RF-7s are set up properly.

Bill

I've always been interested in seeing what it was like for the RF-7 and I think it's not very nice of Klipsch not to provide it to us, I see it more as lazyness than people not being interested! I've always felt when a company doesn't provide it, that they are trying to hide something.

Since I enjoy my RF-7 very much, it would be nice to know. My ears do tell me that Klipsch did very well overall with the RF-7. 13.gif

Kathy,

The close miked response of the RF-7s does not look that good. When you get farther away, they look much better on an RTA graph.

People suffer from the misconception that the frequency response must be super flat to sound good. There are many other factors in determining what sounds good.

Bill

----------------

On 5/6/2005 7:12:48 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

People suffer from the misconception that the frequency response must be super flat to sound good. There are many other factors in determining what sounds good.

Bill

----------------

Preach it Bill! I brought this up on another thread. You are so right....

True, but it needs to reasonably flat. It doesn't make much sense to me to have a speaker that's 99db/w from 35 to 10kHz, and then jagged, elevated output of 3db or more to the end -- and then call it a 102db/w speaker.

----------------

On 5/6/2005 7:12:48 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

Kathy,

The close miked response of the RF-7s does not look that good. When you get farther away, they look much better on an RTA graph.

Bill

----------------

I posted the in room RTA results I got when close mic'd and when further away on this thread: http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=62156&sessionID={6EA3E4F8-A36C-46A6-9272-FC74CBFE0AB4}

It's actually interesting for me to look at those curves now because that was before I went to active crossovers and moved my speakers. The response looks much smoother than that now, although it's still bumpy when close mic'd.

Perfectly flat isn't where it's at. But it needs to be smooth, without any sudden jaggies in the midrange or treble. I've found that if I adjust for close to flat using the simplest EQ approach possible (minimum number of parameters), and then backing off from those settings a bit, I get what sounds best to me. I don't even look at the curve anymore after I start adjusting by ear. It's really hard to know what it's supposed to look like.

If you've ever used a histogram on a digital camera, you get the idea that it's only a guideline to give you an idea of what's happening in the picture. There's really no such thing as a good histogram curve. It depends on the picture. An RTA response curve depends on the speakers, room and associated equipment.

Whew, it's taken me a long time. But I think I've finally reached a point of diminishing returns with the EQ and active crossover. It sounds very balanced and natural to me, so I think the work is done. I put the calibrated microphone away last night and breathed a sigh of relief as I listened to music blissfully, without analyzing the sound.