klipsch inwall

mike Belgium

I have some R-5800-W's that I just mounted in the ceiling for my 7.1 system. They are the only speakers that I have set up right now, because my rooms not finished. I had to hook an amp up to them once they were in the ceiling, because I just couldn't wait. I think they sounded great when I took them out of the box and laid them on the floor.

I think they sound phenominal in the ceiling. They are pretty big and the 8" drivers pushes harder than I expected. I don't think you would be dissapointed in any configuration. Good luck,

Jeremy

----------------

On 5/4/2005 1:40:55 PM mike Belgium wrote:

In my configuration they must be setup for the mains in the front wall.

Here in Belgium we make our homes in solid stone.

Do you have an idee how much cufeet i have to create behind the speakers?

----------------

If that's the case then I would be inclined to purchase some bookshelf speakers and mount the front flush with the wall. Just make sure the bookshelves you purchase have the front mounted ports (the latest RB series do).

The problem with your situation is that there is supposed to be a very large cavity behind the speakers. In america, there is a lot of space between the walls...sometimes there's insulation, but that makes the space look even bigger to the woofers. Going with a pre-made bookshelf speaker and putting it in the wall means you won't have to worry about the space behind the speaker because the woofer is totally enclosed in the cabinet. I'm not sure what the price difference is though.

Well I'm sure the woofer for the inwalls is very similar to the woofer in the cabinets, which are about 1.5 cubic feet in size. I can guarantee that klipsch isn't the kind of company to just spit out numbers. If they're going to take the time to answer the question, they might as well give you a good answer 2.gif

actually the usual wall cavity is 14.5 wide x 96 high x 3.5 deep which is 2.8 ft3. I always recommend stuffing some DENSE insulation at a couple feet from the speaker top and bottom to kind of create plugs in the wall cavity. This limits the size to the 1.5 ft3, keeps the sound from travelling too far down the line. Dr.Who, this is unlike the filling the cavity with loose fill which effectively enlargens (sp) the volume of the cavity with respect to the speaker.

Also, get in there and glue the drywall to the studs or run some more screws in that panel to keep it from vibrating. Very easy if it's new construction.

Michael

Just use a regular enclosed wall cavity unless you want to hear the sound echo all over the house. There is a danger in too large of enclosure in that the air in the box acts as a 'spring' to the woofer. If the box is too large, the woofer might have too large of excursions and pop it's voice coil when driven hard. I'd stay pretty much within the parameters given by the manufacturer (+/- 20% or so, it's not THAT critical)

Michael

----------------

On 5/4/2005 1:40:55 PM mike Belgium wrote:

In my configuration they must be setup for the mains in the front wall.

Here in Belgium we make our homes in solid stone.

Do you have an idee how much cufeet i have to create behind the speakers?

Thanks Mike

----------------

If you're going to use them for your mains, I think it would be better to mount bookshelves flush with the wall. Use RB-25/35/75 speakers, which are front-ported, and you shouldn't have any problems.

OOOPS,

sorry, I missed the post about being in Belgium. I would imagine they build entirely differently there. Their houses aren't plastic and blow away like ours.

If you can describe your wall construction methods, perhaps I can help you. They aren't solid stone inside and out, are they? How about dividing walls in the interior of the house? Or the ceiling space? Surely there's some wood framing somewhere?

Michael

Well all I can say Mike is WAY TO BUILD A ROCKIN HOUSE! Unfortunately in-wall speakers are out. Suggest you stick with the RB bookshelf series.

Do you live in like a castle or something? Or all all homes built like that? WOuld love to see a photo if you've got one. So they run wiring between the inner/outer walls on exterior? What about interior wiring and plumbing? Is it all surface mounted? Is this a 150 year old home or modern construction? Sorry so many ?? but I was in the remodeling industry for years and thing we do things very shoddily (cheaply) here in America.

Michael

lol colter, you should try taking a trip to europe sometime. While I was in Germany visiting an old friend, he took me to a construction site where they were building an entire house out of huge slabs of concrete. He said it's the common way because wood is so insanely expensive. I noticed that the houses in sweden were concrete as well. So anyways, I show up the day they were putting the cieling up and get this...those cement cielings can't support their own weight until you pour cement on top. So until then, the entire house is filled with supports holding the roof up (kinda unnerving when you think about it). One guy tripped and knocked out a support and one of the slabs broke in half; the guy was ok, but they were really upset about the house cuz the slabs are expensive. $1k a pop or something like that (and you have to rent a crane to get them up there).

Mike, I didn't quite understand your last post, but please be careful if you plan on putting Klipsch speakers in built-in bookcases or boxes. They might end up sounding 'boxy'. Enclosing the speaker does some funny things to the bass.

Please send photo of first unit or plans.

Michael

At klipsch they told me that the speaker needs 1.5 cufeet behind the speaker so i made a box of exactly 1.5 cufeet. Due the internal bracing i lost about 0.3 cufeet. But using damping material you can actualy enlarge the volume so thats what i have donne. Making the box bigger was not an option because of stability problems off the wall. I hope it will sound good!

AH, I see, you are creating boxes to be placed inside the concrete walls. These will hold the inwall Klipsch speakers. Looks to be good construction. What will the finish surface material be?

Michael in Indy- watching the SPanish Grand Prix right now- what a nice global community we have.