tweeter for jubilee?

DrWho

I know some of you guys have been looking around for various top sections for your jubilee projects and I came across a driver today that might work well...

Specifications: *Power handling: 150 watts (w/xover, 800 Hz, 12 dB/octave) *Voice coil diameter: 3" *Impedance: 8 ohms *Frequency response: 500-25,000 Hz (no crossover) *SPL: 111 dB 1W/1m *Magnet weight: 21.5 oz. neodymium *Dimensions: 5.43" dia. x 4.09" D. *Weight: 7.5 lbs.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=264-238&DID=7

http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/264-238.pdf

264-238m.jpg

I'm not sure how high the jubilee bin is good to, but the pdf recommends a 12dB/octave crossover at 800Hz. You could prob get away with a lower one if you go steeper. There is also a tweeter from B@C over from partsexpress that does better in the low end, but sacrifices some response in the 15kHz region (probably inaudible by most of us anyway).

This is a REAL TOUGH CALL. The problem is an $800 "test" to see if they can cut it or not, not including the horns to mount them in. However, that's a good power handling rating on these.

Where that seems like a lot, a 3-way lashup with JBL2404H's and 2" midrange drivers and horns will add up to about $750 or so, unless you really flip out and go for the gold. Add to that an extra network circuit for the tweeter/mid slope, so about the same-ish?

Tough call. Think I'll wait until one of you guys fills us in...

DM2.gif

Well perhaps PE (or selenium) might be willing to allow a trial period, and perhaps all you guys building the jubilee could pool some money together as a downpayment type thing. I'm sure if either of those companies hear about the possibility for many people looking to purchase them, that they'd be very willing to even help out with the project. You would only need to purchase one to do some testing in mono (no need to purchase two of them). Does PE have a return policy?

Here's the horn recommended to go with this driver:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=264-316&DID=7

http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/264-316.pdf

I think a better horn could be found, but I have absolutely no clue about how all that works. I just think the directivity is a bit narrow, especially compared to that of the bass bin. (I do notice that it widens up below 1kHz).

I was also noting the insane sensitivity and power handling of this driver (111dB and 150 watts). This of course will need to be bumped down, but that also means we can sacrifice some sensitivity and extend the low end. In other words, trying to run the tweeter down to 500Hz and below might be possible as long as we keep the power to the tweeters low. It's not like we're going to be blasting over 120dB anyway.

I would be afraid of buying these at $400 a crack and then end up using them from midrange drivers 'cause their high (or low) freq response wasn't up to snuff.

Sending them back (AND getting your money back as well)would be preferable, but I wouldn't know. I should add that I like the Seleniums that I use already, but I didn;t pay $400 for one, either.

DM

Thats not nice. In another thread i mentioned the Radian PB 950 as a contender 500hz to 20k hz. Come to find out the diaphram in the 950 may be the one Radian uses in a substatute drop in for the TAD 4001 driver. The plot thickens. Both the Sellinium & Radian alot cheaper than TAD.

Hi All,

I,m using 511b horns and a set of altec 807-8 drivers. Got the drivers off ebay to keep costs down. Both needed diaphrams. They sound really good at low volume and using a test CD they only go up to about 12,000hz which ain't gonna fly. After market diaphrams just didn't do them justice. So I'm looking at the JBL 2426 1". Don't really want to spend any more $$$ than I have to. Already spent enough($1200). As far as the bass bins go, I couldn't be happier. It's just the top end needs a little work.

Big D

It was passed on to me through Klipsch Central Intelligence that Roy Delgado said: "If some of those guys really want to do this, they should just use the 402."

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=545

I don't know Roy, that horn just doesn't look big enough to me. :)

The driver on that thing is a KDE-75-8P, and I'd bet my bottom dollar it's the B&C DE750TN-8.

BIGDNFAY.....The JBL 2426 only goes up to 15K then drops like a rock. The Lansing heritage guys classifies them as mid range drivers. I have a pair and I agree..Mids with upper sparkle