tweeter for jubilee?

DrWho

"Got the drivers off ebay to keep costs down. Both needed diaphrams. They sound really good at low volume and using a test CD they only go up to about 12,000hz which ain't gonna fly. After market diaphrams just didn't do them justice."

You can get basically identical diaphragms to what Altec put in them from Great Plains Audio. I think they are about $90 each.

Shawn

----------------

On 5/11/2005 7:31:58 AM Marvel wrote:

djk posted:

"The 850 Radian does not sound as good as the JBL 2441 or 2446. I have not heard the 950."

----------------

Yeah, but who was it said that they didn't like the JBL? Was it Al K. who didn't like it (one or the other) for a 2-way?

DM2.gif

You have no idea what horn the Radian is on.

The JBL is a constant directivity type and requires EQ.

The horn you choose will determine the EQ required.

In my listening test the Radian was EQ'd to have exactly the same response as the JBL.

I sent the Radian drivers back, they don't sound as good as the JBL.

An Altec 288 smokes either of them.

----------------

On 5/12/2005 12:36:44 AM djk wrote:

You have no idea what horn the Radian is on.

The JBL is a constant directivity type and requires EQ.

The horn you choose will determine the EQ required.

In my listening test the Radian was EQ'd to have exactly the same response as the JBL.

I sent the Radian drivers back, they don't sound as good as the JBL.

An Altec 288 smokes either of them.

----------------

Gee, thanks Dennis. Now I have to think about a 1.4 inch throat. What about the JBL 2426? It's only a one inch throat. I'm only trying to have it sound good in my living room, not a gymnasium or bar.

Marvel

Marvel---The 288 is the best sounding driver I ever used, all in all. A little soft on the highs (I didn't EQ) but marvelous in the midrange. And no sense of strain or shouting. That was when used with a 1005 multicell.

With other horns I don't know but man, on the 1005s, like butter.

----------------

On 5/12/2005 6:43:54 PM Marvel wrote:

What about the JBL 2426? It's only a one inch throat. I'm only trying to have it sound good in my living room, not a gymnasium or bar.

Marvel

----------------

Marv-

The schematic below is the network used on the JBL S3100, a smaller version of the Everest. It was a two-way that used the 2426 loaded onto a CD horn.

jbl%20NS3100.gif

Below is a simulation of the network above with 8Ohm resistors being used to simulate the

woofer and 2426.

Per djk, the network is also EQ. At the crossover (~1.3kHz), the 2426 is attenuated at -18dB and, as frequnecy increases, so to the driving voltage. This is a typical topology for CD horns.

There's a notch at 2.1kHz. Not sure why and nothing here to measure.

S3100.gif