Good Multichannel SACD suggestions

Foxman

This post is in response to a question about good SACD multichannel music options. The key to this is "MULTICHANNEL SACD's" So while there are some good one's that are DVD-A's and some SACD's that arent multichannel they arent what this is about.

First and foremost on my list would be:

Dark Side of the Moon, by Pink Floyd. Most would agree that this is all around a fine example of preporation meets opportunity. This disk was made for multichannel and finaly we have a pristine example of what happens when two fabulous worlds colide. I really like it if you couldnt tell.

Elton John's self titled multichannel hybrid (as with most of his recent releases is another fine example, while I tend to be in the minority of opinions of the quality of this particular recording, most agree that if you had nothing other than Goodbye Yellowbrick road you would have done a good job. As it is I have all of his hybrid multichannel works and enjoy all of them with his self titled disk being my favorite of all.

Nickle Creeks self titled multichannel is a nice delve into blue grass with some excellent lively recordings and fun lyrics. As Klipsch fans this style of music really jumps out of the speakers and fills the room with clarity that is hard to surpass. Nickle Creek also has another that is equally good called "This Side" and it enjoys all the qualities of the previously mentioned disk.

Alison Krauss and Union Station Live is another fun bluegrass disk that has a lot of similarities to Nickle Creek and it's no wonder as she was very involved with Nickle Creek if memorie serves me right. Between this disk and the Nickle Creeks if I had to choose I would Choose Nickle Creeks This Side.

Eric Clapton has released two by his own name, 461 Ocean Blvd and Slowhand. I thourouly enjoyed both but Slowhand is my favorite. Great material and fantastic sound.

Clapton also released Derek and the Dominos "Layla" and is fairly equivalent to his other work in terms of multichannel. I prefer the Clapton disk over Layla for content, but thats just me.

Bon Jovi This Left Feels Right is a SACD that you wont find a lot of people raving about because many do not own it. Bon Jovi has taken most all of his big hits and completely redone them with a totaly new style and add to that a Multichannel mix, I enjoyed it.

The Allman Brothers "Eat a Peach" is another great classic cd that has been touched up with a multichannel sound that really adds depth and a new sense to this masterpiece.

If Jazz is a option there are a couple.

Telarc has two Jazz samplers and both are fantastic. Telarc has several sampler's but the Sampler 1 and 3 are both all Jazz and they really give you a ton of differant artists and being typical Telarc they are some of the best recordings on the market.

Dianna Krall has several offerings but "Girl in The Other Room" in particular is fabulous for content. The multichannel aspect might be a bit soft, but it is a great addition to any jazz fans library.

Roxy Music "Avalon" offers some fabulous multichannel sound and very high quality content. This would be a must own imo. In fact right behind the Telarc samplers and Pink Floyd's DSOTM I would purchase Roxy Music.

If you like the Carpenters then believe it or not their Singles 1969-1981 disk sounds about as fresh and clean as anything you'll buy. While maybe not the greatest example of multichannel music, it is still a fun recording.

Berlioz: Requiem if you like Classical/Opera/Chamber music is another Telarc recording and for this Genre will offer as good a multichannel experiance as anything available. Once again being Telarc the quality is unmatched.

Beethoven: Symphonies no 5&7 / Kleiber, Vienna PO is a fine disk and features some of my favorite Classical pieces.

LAGQ "Guitar Heros" features 4 guitar players playing literally in-sync one in each corner of the room. So, one guy play in your rear right throught the disk and one plays in your right front ect ect. A really neat disk that is a pure joy to listen to if for nothing else to try to figure out what each player is doing. This disk is almost sensory over load.

These are just a few of the SACD's that I own, there are many MANY more out there that are fine examples of multichannel music that I do not own. Also keep in mind these like everything I post, are my opinions, your miles may vary.

Peter Gabriel's "UP," sounds great in multichannel SACD. Both David Bowie's "Ziggy Stardust" and Aerosmith's "Toys in the attic" are good recordings and bring back memories.

I agree with the Elton John collection. I don't understand why more superstar groups don't release multi channel recordings. In fact, I think we just named all of the SACD's worth owning.14.gif

One I neglected is Godsmack's "Other Side" similar to Bon Jovi this is a totaly new take on their music but makes for some nice music and does well in Multichannel.

I have Aerosmiths "Toys in the Attic" and for me it wasnt the Multichannel experiance I had hoped. While a great disk, in terms of multichannel I felt this was a missed opportunity.

BTW. My favorite Elton SACD is "Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy." I can't include "Yellowbrick Road," because I own that in DVD-A.

Foxman,

I appreciate the Bon Jovi & Roxy Music recommendation and may consider them. I can't bring myself to buy the Alison Kraus SACD because I purchased one of her DVD video's and wasn't impressed--I guess it's not my style of music. I also won't buy The Who's live SACD because it was something like $26.99.6.gif

----------------

On 5/4/2005 7:19:21 PM foxman wrote:

I have Aerosmiths "Toys in the Attic" and for me it wasnt the Multichannel experiance I had hoped. While a great disk, in terms of multichannel I felt this was a missed opportunity.

----------------

I have to admit "Sweet Emotion" on this SACD makes it for me. I like 2 or 3 more of the songs. I think concert videos have spoiled me because I am accustomed to having more quality songs to enjoy.

----------------

In fact, I think we just named all of the SACD's worth owning.
14.gif

----------------

Maybe not quite all. Here's a few you might look for:

Jorma Kaukonen -- Blue Country Heart

Bernstein plays Copland

Chicago, the motion picture soundtrack

Bucky Pizzarelli ---"Swing Live"

Nelson Riddle plays Sinatra-- "Nice & Easy"

David Johanson and the Harry Smiths

Dylan-- "Love & Theft"

Buddy Guy --"DJ Play My Blues"

Dave Brubeck -- Time out

2.gif

I picked up a copy of Dark Side of the Moon and also Metallica's The Black Album (DVD-A). Can't wait to get home to listen to them. Unfortunately, I'm stuck at my weekday diversion...AKA work. Since DSOTM is a hybrid, I listened to several tracks on my CD player. I would definitely agree with the statement that this album was made for multichannel.

Matt, CONGRATS!

I didnt really scratch the surface on DVD-A since it was SACD we had discussed.

Metalica was a great choice and while I wasnt very familier with Metalica at the time, everyone that is that I have demoed the DVD-A with was able to recognize imediatly some of the nuances.

Another DVD-A that might offer the best mutichannel experiance of anything DVD-A that I own is Linkin Parks Reanimation disk. This is another group that I was very familier with, but the surround is nothing short of amazing. It is a remix of some of their other tunes and for me I prefer the reanimation mix to the originals in most cases.

Chicago has two classics on DVD-A that I am a big fan of, but I really REALLY like their classic work.

I have both Queens that are available, A Night at the Opera and The Game. Both are great disk's while not an overly fantastic multichannel mix, great music none the less.

I have both Santana's, Shaman and Supernatural. Personaly I love these disks but like the queen they are not a overly agressive mix.

Fleetwood Mac, Rumors...great...subtle it's Rumors you know what your getting.

Aaron Nevil Devotion, fantastic

Foreigner 4 and the self titled disk eh similar to the Queens, subtle

Dr Chesky has one with a weird name, something like Weird, wonderfull silly and something. Anyway it is a multichannel disk and it is a must own for a demo disk. There is a section of a thunder storm that will blow your mind. Ohhh and by the way if your sub isnt up to par proceed with caution on this disk.

Beach Boys, Pets Sounds is very good and clean sounding but they messed up the mix just a bit. The rear channel is a tad to hot and it does sound a bit off. It's nothing that can't be adjusted though and is great for content.

Thatll get you going for now there are lots more.

Get Reanimator and that Dr. Chesky if you can find them.