Record Press ?

seti

I have a good friend with very rare vinyl and he is also a DJ. We were talking the other day and he wants to scratch some of his rare records but he does not want to mess them up as some are worth $500+. I was wondering what the market is like on used record presses and what the goin rates are like. What brand record presses are avaialble and media used of course. I'm not sure how feasable this is but we were just curious.

Thanks

Watch out some copyrights may still apply. Both to the artist(and family) And record company. Some times older record companys are sold to new companys & copyrights are still intact. Id be pissed if someone bootleged my recordings.

----------------

On 5/5/2005 1:08:11 PM Maron Horonzak wrote:

Watch out some copyrights may still apply. Both to the artist(and family) And record company. Some times older record companys are sold to new companys & copyrights are still intact. Id be pissed if someone bootleged my recordings.

----------------

It's not going to be for sale just for live dj events so it shouldn't be an issue. It would also be used to make beat loop records or whatever they use. I know one of the records could get him in trouble as the company that released it in the early 70's was sued and all available lp copies confiscated.

couldn't you just rip it to a hard disk and use one of the midi "scratch" controllers I have seen out there....come to think of it couldn't you burn to CD and use one of those CD sratching players I have seen out there? MUCH easier adn cheaper than what you are suggesting IMHO. regards, tony

He has seen the midi scratchers but he is a purist wants vinyl. I think I found some interesting devices a little expensive though.

The Vestax VRX about $6K new

http://www.vestax.com/products/vrx2000.htm

and then there is the Kingson Dub Platter Cutter

http://formen.ign.com/news/26801.html

http://www.vinylium.ch/dubcut/dubcutter.html

He really doesn't make money doing mostly for fun and parties and making mixes.

----------------

On 5/5/2005 4:35:21 PM sunnysal wrote:

this is for sale on ebay:

81_3.JPG

----------------

OMG thank you so much I searched ebay but your searching skills are more elite than mine..... THANKS

It says it has no needles I'll see how much those are....

that is the best one I have seen on ebay in quite a while, the only problem is that there is no guarantee it will cut records, the guy who is selling it does not seem to know what he has...regards, tony

btw there are places/companies that will cut vinyl for you if you bring them the source material...do you know about these? tony

The machine which cuts a lacquer (as pictured here) is not the record "press". The lacquer discs are aluminum discs coated with a hard lacquer. You have to get metal stampers made from the lacquer master which are then used to "press" the vinyl.

There are many outfits which will take your file (CD, MP3, tape, or whatever) and make a lacquer master. You then send this lacquer master to another lab which makes the metal parts, then from this they will make vinyl test pressings. You could stop at this point or you could have quantities of the vinyl pressed.

It would make more sense to cut lacquer discs with one of those home recording machines as pictured in the eBay listing, and then simply use the lacquer for the dj manipulations (scratching etc.). I am not sure that the lacquers would be as durable in this capacity as a vinyl disc, but making vinyl would not be practical in your situtation. For limited use, I think the lacquer discs would work for dj work. You might have fun trying to get a stylus for that RekoKut machine, you might want to research that out first. Also you will want to located a source of blank lacquer discs appropriate to that vintage machine. Looks like a fun project.

C&S

The lacquer discs will not last very long, just a small fraction of vinal. Lacquer is mutch softer. On the cutter a special heated styles will make a better cut with less burring.

----------------

On 5/6/2005 2:21:14 PM seti wrote:

Wow very interesting information thanks again.

I think he is going to keep an eye on ebay for a Vestrax VRX or a kingston dub cutter as he already has two technics 1200s.

----------------

I learned something here too. I did not realize they had machines which cut into vinyl discs like that VRX etc.

c7s