Refinishing Heresy Cabinets

akirk

I need to refinish the cabinets on my Heresy's and would like a little info. First of all, does anyone know what the original finish is? I assume it is a varnish or shellac of some type. Second, does anyone know about the cabinet construction? I believe I heard once that they are birch plywood construction with a wood veneer. Is that true? Any tips anyone has on refinishing these would be appreciated.

akirk,

They were once plywood construction.I believe the IIs were when they changed.They are all veneer.Most were oiled veneer.The model # would have an "O",like H(for Heresy)an O for oiled and the type veneer like W for walnut.

What's wrong with them that they need to be refinished?Scratches,digns,chuncks missing?

The veneer is VERY thin,went too far on one of my KlipschornsEek.gif

You can look at the back of the cabinet to see the construction,look like plywood?

akirk, I hope you don't mine but I have the same question, I just picked up some 89 KG's for my son, one has aring on the top from a hot coffee cup I guess and one has a small chunk out of the top side edge, they both have fine scrathes on them.

I was thinking of rubbing them down with 0000 steel wool, I used this on a coffee table once and it got the ring out, however it was a white ring this ones black!!

On the back of the KG4 It has a WO I'm guessing thats oiled walnut.

Any other ideas on how this should be done.

Craig

------------------

Klipsch KLF30 Mains

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds

Klipsch KSB 1.1 Front Effects

Dual SVS 20-39CS Sub's

Samaon S700 Sub Amp

Yamaha DSP-A1

Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc

Yamaha TX-492 Tuner

Sony CDP-C701ES 5 disc Player

Panasonic A110 DVD

Hitachi MX6080EM Muli-system HI-FI VCR

Hitachi 29" T.V.

Denon DP-37F Turntable

Pair of KG4's (looking for a good center)

Akirk and Craig,

Refinishing is not difficult. I'm assuming you both have walnut veneer.

First strip the cabinets with paint stripper - nasty stuff, but it keeps you from having to sand the heck out of the cabinets (which could lead to a hole in the veneer - especially near the edges). Keep the stripper off the black speaker board - it will make a nasty mark instantly.

Next, reglue any loose veneer with wood glue - remove any excess with a damp sponge - very important because any glue soaked areas won't accept stain. Now fill any dings or chipped areas with walnut color wood filler - I like the DOW stuff (I also like to put a film of wood glue over the area I'm about to fill so the filler will stick tenaciously). Now your ready to sand.

Use a palm sander ($50 at Home Depot for the DeWalt - totally worth it) with 150 grit. Go with the grain, DON'T over sand, EASY ON THE EDGES, keep it square. Note: tape brown paper over the driver openings to avoid dust or other contamination (grills should be off). Dust the cabinets off well with an old paint brush, your hand, and then a tack cloth. Now for the stain.

Apply stain with a clean rag (I like Minwax dark walnut), let sit about 15 minutes, then buff the heck out of the cabinets with a lint-free towel.

On to the oil finish (most common original Klipsch finish). I've tried this crucial step a number of ways and I like this one the best. Get some antique oil (tung oil) mix 3 parts antique oil with 1 part stain and 1 part mineral spirits. Apply to cabinets with a clean rag, let sit 10 minutes, then buff with a lint free towel. Repeat (several applications will probably do it).

The oil application is not hard, but is the step which requires the most finesse. If the cabinets get too sticky to buff, you can put a little lemon oil on a rag and it will remove the excess sticky oil. Again, buff the heck out of the cabinets. Let sit 24 hours before handling. #0000 steel wool soaked with a little lemon oil can be used to buff the cabinets.

DO NOT LET ANY STEEL WOOL FIBERS GET INTO THE HORNS. THE MAGNETS WIL PULL THIS STUFF IN LIKE CRAZY. MAKE SURE THE DRIVER HOLES ARE SEALED OFF AND ALL STEEL WOOL HAS BE REMOVED FROM THE CABINETS AND WORKING AREA BEFORE EXPOSING THE DRIVERS!

Additional note: a black water ring can only be removed by sanding the ring - it will go deep into the veneer, so be careful. I had a couple water rings on my cabinets - tough to remove, but I got 'em out.

I did my Heresys this way and they look super.

Please do not attempt the above steps if your all thumbs and/or the kind of guy who doen't have an eye for detail. Any advice offered here is given in earnest, but you refinish your cabinets at your own risk. You can use a piece of test wood before going to the speakers themselves.

Hope this helps,

KG

P.S. Don't sand thru the veneer - especially near the edges.

Thanks, guys, for the info. Just out of curiousity, how thick would you say the wood veneer is? Looking at the back of the speaker cabinet it appears to be approx. 1/16" thick, if I'm seeing things right. Just for the record, my Heresy's are walnut, made around 1982, and have water rings, numerous scratches, and several dings on them.

Akirk,

A sixteenth of an inch is about right. You can actually do a good bit of sanding with 150 grit and not have a problem. When people sand thru the veneer, it's usually near an edge or corner because there they tend to tip the sander a little bit and eat right thru.

Sand easy at the edges, keep the sander level. Always be thinking "watch the edges" and you should be fine. Man, I really had to sand the heck out of the two black water rings on my 1980 walnut veneer Heresys. Thought I was going to sand thru the veneer, but I didn't.

Regards,

KG

Thanks for all the tips.

Craig

------------------

Klipsch KLF30 Mains

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds

Klipsch KSB 1.1 Front Effects

Dual SVS 20-39CS Sub's

Samaon S700 Sub Amp

Yamaha DSP-A1

Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc

Yamaha TX-492 Tuner

Sony CDP-C701ES 5 disc Player

Panasonic A110 DVD

Hitachi MX6080EM Muli-system HI-FI VCR

Hitachi 29" T.V.

Denon DP-37F Turntable

Pair of KG4's (looking for a good center)

Klipsch guy is on the right track. Just a few comments.

Veener thickness is probably closer to .030", maybe even .020".

Assuming an oiled finish, no need to use stripper. You'll never get all of an oiled finish off. The finish polymerizes. The only way to get it all off is to sand through the wood. Just sand with a light touch until you get rid of imperfections, being careful not to go through the veneer.

Use bronze wool instead of steel wool. Some of the wool will inevitably embed in the wood. Steel will rust after awhile and affect your finish. Bronze will not.