Here's a funny thing....

maxg

Amongst the classical box sets that I bought from a fellow member were 2 that were still sealed.

Over the weekend I finaly got around to them and opened this one:

Verdi

Il Trovatore

Price / Elias / Tucker

Rome Opera House

Artur Basile

RCA Victor Living Stereo

LSC-6150

US

3 disk Sealed Box Set

Now remember this was a sealed box. Playback is all but perfect, but:

Disk one is a nice heavy disk (I guess something like 180 gram audiophile stuff) - disk 2 is lighter and disk 3, wafer thin and floppy.

They all play fine but I just cannot imagine how a company would do this - or why. If the box is sealed on purhase it is not like they are fooling people till after they have bought.

Thoughts? Anyone else ever come across this? I own 100 box sets (I guess - plus or minus 50 - probably plus) and it is the first I ever came across with different weight vinyl in it.

----------------

On 5/9/2005 8:07:31 AM fini wrote:

I think you should return it for a refund or a replacement.
2.gif

That is pretty weird, Max. I could see that happening on some two-bit label, but RCA?

----------------

I dont know whether I should return it for a refund or immediately put it on ebay as a rare error with a reserve of $1,500,000 for this unique screw up.

Was funny as hell though - I only discovered this during playback. I was happily playing side one - switch to side 2 and thought - hmm that is odd - sure the record is lighter (BTW - the records are arrange with side 6 on the back of 1, 5 on the back of 2 and 4 on the back of 3 - for those old days of record stackers I imagine). When I reached for side 3 I thought - woah - this is paper thin - weird huh!!

As I said though - they all play great - so no complaints - just puzzled.

That is "a mouthful of coffee on the keyboard" funny!!

Looks like I got away with it.

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

Yup - whew!!

Did you spot it immediately or did you queue it up - go and sit down and find yourself thinking - I didn't know kermit was on this album.

No really, it happened. My brother was in the room and actually opened it up, cleaned it and queued it up. We just about died when the opening strains of 'why am I green' came on.

We didn't know anything about crack back then, I promise!

Michael

The Zeppelin has never been much for guest vocalists, but Jimmy Page has been known to strike a few very inventive chords from time to time. It did take us a couple measures to realize things weren't quite up to snuff.

Michael

Colter,

Saw you posted again to this thread so I put my coffee down first. That muppet album story is going to crack me up all night now.

Lets see what spin Fini puts on that latter sentence....

I just keep imagining your faces as you slowly realised what you were listening to - and what you were not listening to.

As Forrest Gump said - Life is like a box of chocolates....so apparently are albums!

Glad to add some joy to your evening Max! That is a true story.

I've got the Fine Arts Society 'second programme' of a local college station on right now. It's a classical program featuring a gentleman very well versed, who gives you hints on what to listen for, history of the piece, etc. Sounds like something you'd enjoy.

Right now Tchaicowski 4th symphony pizzicato Cleveland Orchestra. In this movement, the entire orchestra plays the piece in pizzicato- very interesting, must be hard to do on the double bass!

Michael

"I've got the Fine Arts Society 'second programme' of a local college station on right now. It's a classical program featuring a gentleman very well versed, who gives you hints on what to listen for, history of the piece, etc. Sounds like something you'd enjoy."

Those types of programs are often great. We have a satellite TV channel that does much the same thing pretty much all the time - unless they are simply playing the music.

I do through passes with this stuff. At the moment I am just trying to listen to the music and forget the rest (systems, styles, clever tricks of the composers etc. etc.)

There is a reason for that - I posted a few weeks ago about meeting a musicologist. They study music in mathematical detail and the result is that, certainly in the case of this individual, they cannot listen to certain pieces of music without analyzing it. Its got to be one of the most scarey thoughts on the planet that one.

I am actually in the middle of an experiment relating to all of this - which I will detail here in a couple of weeks. Could be most interesting...

Max:

Years ago one of the two record / cd clubs put out an inferior copy. I wonder if perchance you may have two of theirs not needed so they eliminated the record club pressing info.

Beyond that it is a mystery.

SILVERSPORT: I know what you mean. I have some CDs that are 1/2 the thickness, quite thin. Enjoy your Day.