Zoom Satellite service is done like dinner.

wheelman

I am not sure if this has been posted. I did a search, but nothing popped up. So I guess Charlie Ergen from Dish network bought it out. Man that would stink that equipment was pretty expensive for that zoom. Direct tv is striking back by giving zoom subscribers a little hand out on their old zoom equipment (incase your a zoomer)if you join the direct tv army. Which seems odd seeing how Dish bought them out from what i read. Just a good comeback I guess by Direct tv to get the zoom customers instead of Dish. Either way it looks like the competition is down again. I was hoping for more satellite companies to pop up to keep prices down.

At first glance it looked a bit lame to me, and thus we stuck with Direct, even though you only have a few HD channels. I am sure there will be more HD content to come though, and if someone has not seen HD programming they are really missing out! We even lucked out early this past college basketball season when the Iowa Hawkeyes played Louisville, it was on HDnet. We had some friends over and blew them away when we switched from our normal digital local station carrying the game to the HDnet broadcast, lol. They wanted to know when the next one was....unfortunately it was a one-time deal. I am eagerly awaiting the NHRA drag race broadcasts coming in a month or so on ESPN-HD.

10 of Voom's HD channels are now being played by Dish Network.. The remaining 21 channels from VOOM, will be offered by the end of the year. The only drawback to receiving the extra HD on Dish, is you have to add a second dish to receive them. So, now you have to pay for the second dish, where they used to offer it free, until the buyout...

From everything that I've read, yeah, it was nice to have all those HD channels, but it seemed many of them pretty much did not have any real content. It seemed they pretty much played the same crappy movie over and over again on many of them.

I do get all the local channels in High-Def from my roof antenna, though. Watching 24 in full High-Def with full surround-sound was quite an experience, though! Not to mention the NFL playoffs!

I'd like to eventually upgrade my DirecTV reciever to the high-def DirecTiVo. However, I am going to wait and see how things play out, as there is a lot of talk about them launching more satellites as well as changing the format from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 (I wonder if my current RCA UltimateTV reciever will be obsoleted by this - I hope not, as I love that thing - served me well for 5 years now without so much as a hiccup!). Not only that, but the High-Def DirectTiVo is still going for a full $1,000 - which is more than I am willing to pay right now.

As for Voom, I am not surprised to see it fold. It sounded like a good idea, but it seemed that execution had much to be desired (at least from what I've read in the various reviews of the service on the 'net). I thought about getting it after I got my Mitsu TV, but decided that I much rather stick with DirecTV. I've had DirecTV for nearly 8 years now, and have been very happy with them.

I have Dish, but I thought I just seen a direct tv commercial lately saying they will be getting thousands of high definitions channels soon. I wonder how soon. I still have an analog tv that's new. I wanted something descent, and cheap until there is more hd channels. Maybe a plasma will be within my reach by then.