subwoofer placement

Rsoxfan

It all depends on the room. I did place a pair of HSU TN-1225 subs behind a sofa and wall but not because it was the best location, just because I wanted to hide them. The best place was too out in the open so we all have to make sacrifices. The best thing to do is just try it out. The couch that housed the 2 HSU's did rumble but not as much as the love seat that was on the opposite side, no wonder they call it a love seat.

I am sure that one of the sub experts on this forum will come to your rescue but they would probably need more details.

Good luck.

Well right now I'm running three subs...two in the front corners and the third right behind me. When dialing them in I had just the back one playing first and it was ok. It's a bit wierd when you hear distortion coming from behind you, but you get used to it. If it's your only possible location then I wouldn't worry about it at all.

When I turn on the subs in the front corners, the distractions from the rear one go away real fast (I have them turned up a bit louder too).

Anyways, this is just my experience and everyone's is going to be different. There's nothing wrong with trying it and letting your own ears decide. 1.gif

My big Velodyne S1500 is in the right rear corner of the room. There was no other choice in my setup since the front corners are occupied by Klipschorns, the center by a Belle and most of the rest of the front area by componentry. (See pics toward the bottom of p. 20 on the "Let's see YOUR home theater" string.

The Velo crossover is set to its lowest point, 40 hz. It sounds fine in this setup. With the efficient Klipschorns the Velo volume needs barely to be cranked, yet it definitely does add "floor" to the Khorns on very deep musical bass material and on movie LFE channels. I have not perceied any significant problem with standing waves, booming resonances and the like.

----------------

On 5/10/2005 12:36:56 PM mmsiman wrote:

the only other place I could put the sub is behind my entertainment center wich practically a wall

----------------

Would it be feasible to try and build a subwoofer into your entertainment center? The biggest trade off with subs is the cabinet size, so if you could somehow use the volume behind the cabinet and get the sound to project forward (ie, mount the driver and ports to fire out the front of the EC), then you could totally use your situation to your advantage. There are all sorts of DIY sites available to get you the information to walk you through it all (and lots of people here to help) 2.gif