Cheap 2 channel amps.

----------------

On 5/10/2005 12:32:51 AM hooting_monkey wrote:

Hey I was wondering what you all thought about this:

It's just gonna be driving a pair of SB-1s off my computer, so it isn't a big deal if it isn't the best sound possible.

----------------

Doesn't look bad. You ought to check out audiosource amp two for a little more. Quite an amp actually it's stable at two ohms and it sounds excellent. I think I may buy another one just to make sure I wasn't imagining things. When I first plugged it in I was like yay. Then four to five hours later I couldn't believe what I was hearing out of my sf-2's. I guess the amp one which is cheaper is the same thing without the vu meters. Don't let the name or the price tag fool ya. Check it out google it. Darn good for the money. I think it is even better than my last b&k st-140 so called tube like ss amp. Another plus is the audiosource is very slim, but don't sound it. It has one set of pre ins. So one could run a cd player right off it. It's clean and it got warmer (tone wise) the longer it was on it seemed. http://www.vxm.com/tone.audiosource.html

----------------

On 5/10/2005 12:32:51 AM hooting_monkey wrote:

Hey I was wondering what you all thought about this:

It's just gonna be driving a pair of SB-1s off my computer, so it isn't a big deal if it isn't the best sound possible.

----------------

before i would buy ANY onkyo receiver..... i would get one of these for $189

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64451&item=7320685307&rd=1

Crown XLS202 amp....

145 watts per channel of real power with excellent sound and the ability to handle low impedance loads

there is a user over on AVS forum that uses four of the next model up in this series to power his THX ultra klipsch speakers (the XLS402)

Specifications

The following applies to units in Stereo mode with 8-ohm loads and rated input sensitivity unless otherwise specified.

Performance

Sensitivity (volts RMS) for full rated power at 4 ohms,

XLS-202: 0.725

XLS-402: 1.025

XLS-602: 1.26.

Frequency Response (at 1 watt) 20 Hz to 20 kHz: ±0.75 dB.

Phase Response (degrees at 1 watt)

at 10 Hz: ?10.

at 20 kHz: +19.

Signal-to-Noise Ratio (20 Hz to 20 kHz)

A-weighted, below rated power: > 100 dB.

No weighting, below rated power: > 95 dB.

Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) at full bandwidth power, from 20 Hz to 1 kHz: < 0.5%.

Intermodulation Distortion (IMD) (60 Hz and 7 kHz at 4:1) from full rated output to ?40 dB:

< 0.3%.

Damping Factor (8 ohm) 10 Hz to 400 Hz: >200.

Crosstalk (below rated power)

at 1 kHz: ?82 dB.

at 20 kHz: ?58 dB.

Voltage Gain (at maximum output): 31 dB.

Power

Load Impedance: Safe with all types of loads. Rated for 2 to 8 ohms in Stereo, 8 ohms in Bridge-Mono.

AC Line Voltages Available (±10%): 120VAC, 60 Hz and 230VAC, 50 Hz.

Controls

Level: Two front-panel, black rotary level controls, one for each channel.

Power: Front-panel switch; on when in the UP position.

Circuit Breaker: Provides overload protection.

Indicators

Clip: Two front-panel red LEDs, one for each channel, illuminate when the channel?s output signal is being overdriven.

Power: Green front-panel LED indicates amplifier has been turned on and AC power is available.

Fault: Yellow front-panel LED illuminates when amplifier is in protect mode. Also illuminates briefly during normal power-up when amplifier is first switched on.

Input/Output

Input Connectors: One per channel; back-panel three-pin female XLR input connectors.

Input Impedance: (nominally balanced, nominally unbalanced): 20 k ohms, 10 k ohms.

Output Connectors: Two 4-pole Speakon® connectors (one per channel) and two pairs of 5-way binding posts; accepts banana plugs, spade lugs or bare wire. (European models do not accept banana plugs.)

DC Output Offset (shorted input): ±10 millivolts.

Output Signal: Stereo, unbalanced, two-channel.

Protection

XLS Series amplifiers provide extensive protection, including output current limiting, DC protection, circuit breaker, and special thermal protection for the unit?s transformers.

Construction

Ventilation: Flow-through ventilation from front to back.

Cooling: Internal heat sinks with forced-air cooling for rapid, uniform heat dissipation.

Air Volume Requirements (per minute per unit): 80.15 ft³ (2.27 m³).

Dimensions: EIA Standard 19-inch (48.3-cm) rack mount width (EIA RS-310-B), 3.5-inch (8.9-cm) height and 14-inch (35.6-cm) depth behind the mounting surface.

1.gif