~$1,500 Budget - What should I get?!

Falcon

Hi all,

I currently have the Samsung HL-R5087W TV and the Samusung DVD-HD850 DVD player, but no surround sound! I just got my tax return back and I've budgeted around $1,500 to improve my sound. The room my TV is in is roughly 20' x 13'.

Two questions...

1 - (Stupid newbie question) Can I do 6.1 with the player I have? It decodes to 5.1, but will the amp/decoder override this? How does that work?

2 - What should I get? I have the promedias for my computer, and I love them (except that nasty crackle when changing volumes) but they obviously don't cut it for HT. I need to know what sats go together, as well as the sub, decoder, etc. Are Klipschs out of my range? What are my alternatives? Any advice any of you can give would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron G

Philadelphia, PA

Do you want to spend $1500.00 now for a whole system or would be willing to use the $1500.00 to get started and then add as you go?

If I were you I would do the add as you go.

you could get the HK AVR 235 for $349.00

I got 20 percent off reference series so if you shop around you can find a dealer that will do that.

You could get RB-35's for about $480.00

Rc-35 for about $320.00

RW-12 $520.00

That puts you at $1669.00 not to far off from $1500.00

By going this route you will have many option in the future.

You could add RF-35's as your fronts and move your rb-35's to the rear. Or You could add RS-35's to the rear, either way there is a great option.

Just some thoughts for you, good luck with thatever you choose.

Shane,

Thanks for your help. I like the idea of being able to grow with the system. I have a follow up question... since I'm a complete newbie at this, can you verify something for me?

Say I have a movie that's 6.1. I put it in my player that can only decode 5.1. I have the optical out from my player going into my new HK 235 optical in. Now, assuming I have enough speakers plugged in to my HK 235, will I hear the separate 6.1 channels, or will I have to upgrade my dvd player as well?

Thanks again.

Aaron G

Philadelphia, PA

A 6.1 receiver with 6.1 channels(speakers) being used nothing else would be needed. You will hear the 6.1 channels properly. If you buy a complete 5.1 system the dealer should give you a good price. Do you have a receiver?

RB-35's for about $480.00

RS-35's for about $400.00

Rc-35 for about $320.00

RW-12 for about $520.00

I was going to replace my receiver but, I have decide to get it repaired and get either RF25's or SF2's for the mains.

I actully don't have a receiver now... just the dvd player and comcast cable box.

I know NOTHING about the receivers. What are my options? Should I just go with the HK AVR 235? I'm assuming it's a good player because Shane recommended it and the thing costs over $500. What other receivers do people like?

Thanks again.

I have nothing but the tv and dvd player now. I'm like a caveman forced to watch HD in 2 channel stereo.

I was planning on getting a 6.1 setup, but I wonder if it's worth the extra $100 to move up to the 7.1 for a little future-proofing. Or by the time I'm ready to move to 7.1 will I be ready for a new receiver anyway? In the grand cost, it's only $100, but then again, hey - $100!

For movies and 7.1 Surround Sound.

Speakers, (4)RB-35's, (2)RS-35's, (1)RC-35, (1)RW-12.

Receiver, HK avr 235 or Denon avr 1905.

For movies and 6.1 Surround Sound.

Speakers, (4)RB-35's, (1)RS-35, (1)RC-35, (1)RW-12.

Receiver, HK avr 135 or Denon avr 1705.

Hi Falcon,

Go for the best - the Bose Lifestyle............

Now that I managed to rattle some chains.........

You might want to consider a 2-channel system to start with RF-7s. Everything I have heard about these is excellent. I have not had the opportunity to hear them myself, but I do have a pair of RF-3II and Cornwalls and Heresys.

You could then upgrade later, knowing you have a fantastic pair of front speakers to start with.

Just my $0.02

Good luck,

Doug

Hi Falcon,

The HK AVR 235 is a 7.1 receiver. So you grow with it as much as you like up to 7.1.

The HK AVR 235 is by no means a HIGH end receiver, but condisering you can get them new at www.jr.com for $349.00 with shipping its a good deal I think. I really like my receiver HK AVR 235.

But do not skimp on a receiver, if you do you will end just buying another one 3 months from now, I think when you consider the bang for the buck the HK is a fine choice.

I really would peice it out and add as you can afford.

Falcon, you have a pretty decent DVD player. You should not need to upgrade it until the Blu-Ray -- DVD-HD dust settles.

As for 5.1 versus 7.1 -- good 5.1 speakers will sound mles better than "less good" 7.1 speakers. I agree with the folks suggesting yu spend as much as you can on good speakers.

One option that might save a bit -- how is the sound on your TV -- can it be used as a center speaker on a surround set-up (the manual should let you know)?

Happy listening!

I like the HK 235 recommendation, and I like the RB-35 and sub recommendation. At that point it becomes a question of order. You could get a center and have no surrounds, or you could get more bookshelves to use for surrounds and run phantom center until the budget allows the addition of a center channel.

Another avenue to explore is the Synergy system. Yes, I know it is not Reference. It is, however, still a very competent system and one you might find satisfying. There are a few people onthe Forum who have Synergy systems who are just thrilled with them. You shouldn't have a hard time getting on budget with one of those.

Synergy's are good speakers (all Klipsch are good), I just think when you compare the price difference it is better to go on up to the reference even if you have to piece it out.

If you get a synerggy system I think its just a matter of time until you will want to get into the reference or Herritage stuff.

Just my worthless 2 cents worth today :D

$1500 is not a lot for a receiver, a sub and a bunch of speakers...

Receiver: h/k avr-235, I agree with others on this... It's $330 at www.etronics.com (but check others with shipping included as well)

Sub: Stick with Hsu or SVS for bang for buck, or perhaps the new Klipsch Sub-10?

Speakers: Get a few now and build on that later. I suggest Heresys, Fortes or Cornwalls.

Thank's everyone for all your input. It sounds like everyone agrees with the build-piece-by-piece-quality strategy. That's going to be my plan.

I had to agree not to beg my wife for more electronic equipment for 6 months after I got the tv (for the superbowl). She made a new bargain this past weekend that if I paint every room in the house she'll happily let me spend $1500. Maybe if I clean out the kitty litter box from now on she'll let me bump it up to $2000!

I'll let you all know. Thanks again!

If you cleaning out the litter box hold out for at least $2500 9.gif

Falcon I just recently purchased my reference series and I owe a lot to the guys here, they steered me the right way everytime I asked a question. Please feel free to IM me anytime and I can tell you about my purchase experience, the more info we get the better off we are.

I think $1500 is a lot of money for anything. Even a home audio/visual entertainment system.

I would rather have two channels of quality, than 5 channels of mediocrity. Even if I was juts starting out on my first audiophile quest. Therefore, if a friend already had a TV and a DVD and asked me, I would scrounge around for a big, heavy, vintage 70s stereo receiver, for about $5 to $50, even if it needed cleaning up by a local stereo shop (scratchy knobs and what not). These seem to be well worth it, to the tune of up to $150. Especially look for twin powered harmon kardon x30 series models, 430 on up.

I would also seriously consider the digital Teac AL stereo receiver getting rave reviews here ($100).

Then I would scrounge around for really big, really heavy loudspeakers, in the $25-150 range. Pawn shops dont have great prices, but they often have some big models from yesteryear. Of course, most any old Klipsch would be my first choice: KG, Chorus and Forte models seem cheap to the market for what you get. For them I certainly want harmon kardon and will double my speaker budget if I have one.

Then, I would get a sub, spending as much on the sub as I did on the loudspeakers. The Klipsch subs certainly give a lot of bang for the buck. The SVS ones are very deep. HTs need subs; they make movies come alive.

Adding a basic receiver, loudspeakers and sub, even if only 2 channel will do so much for your enjoyment of movies. If the system is good sounding too, it will really make music and vocals, even in movies, especially enjoyable.

As soon as I get my 2 channel system (three, with the TV audio) to the point where improvements make little differences, then I too will gravitate towards multi-channel sound.

10.gif

Right. And how many channels of Dolby Digital and DTS does that vintage HK 430 process for you? How many digital inputs for your DVD player and cable/satellite box? Component video switching? ANY video switching?! How about the matched center channel for the Chorus -- the Academy at 350 if you're lucky and fast? What are you going to use for surrounds? Hung a Quartet from a wall lately? Those passive radiators make placement easy and fun, really.

Aaron, get the HK AVR-235 and a Reference surround setup. Colin doesn't actually have a home theater, and his knowledge of what works in two channel clouds his judgment of what is good for HT. Five channels of mediocrity, indeed.