Why do the RF-7's sound better at low volume with ...

shooter67

----------------

On 5/10/2005 4:07:47 PM shooter67 wrote:

a high powered amp? I understand why they would sound better at high voulmes but at low to medium volumes it would make since that they would sound the same wether you were pushing 100 ar 200 watts.

----------------

most high power amps can handle the impedance dip in the lower register than many low powered amps

the RF-7's dip down to 2.8 ohms in the bass region..... receivers and low powered amps that cannot handle that impedance will sound noticibly infereior to an amp that is designed to handle very low impedance loads

----------------

On 5/10/2005 6:36:39 PM minn_male42 wrote:

----------------

On 5/10/2005 4:07:47 PM shooter67 wrote:

a high powered amp? I understand why they would sound better at high voulmes but at low to medium volumes it would make since that they would sound the same wether you were pushing 100 ar 200 watts.

----------------

most high power amps can handle the impedance dip in the lower register than many low powered amps

the RF-7's dip down to 2.8 ohms in the bass region..... receivers and low powered amps that cannot handle that impedance will sound noticibly infereior to an amp that is designed to handle very low impedance loads

----------------

Well, actually, not really. That would be true if the reciever was turned up much higher in volume. At any very low volume setting, any reciever has all of the necessary current capability for a 2.8 ohm load. Many different recievers/amps sound different and sometimes you can get a 50watt/channel reciever that sounds awesome. It all depends on the manufacturer. It is not due to the 2.8 ohm impedance though. I can't believe I'm disagreeing with you on this since we always agree! Oh well, I guess even Klipschophiles will disagree one time in their life. 9.gif Now that we have that once in a lifetime disagreement done, we should now agree on everything!16.gif

I also would have thought that it wouldn't matter at low volume. But... afriend has 4-ohms speakers and they sounded thin with no dynamics at all on his Onkyo receiver that was rated only for 6 ohms. Even at low volumes. I brought over a h/k avr-325 receiver as well as a 20 year-old Nikko Alpha 220 power amp, both of which are rated for 4 ohms. They both sounded rich, full, with tons of dynamic range.

He brought a NAD receiver and fixed his problem. It's possible that the 4-ohms were NOT the problem, but everything pointed to that! The Onkyo sounds fine on other speakers.

PSG, changing the amp/reciever will make audible differences, but it is dependant on the different amp/reciever. You hit (by luck?) some good combos compared to his original set up. I need you to buy me a lotto ticket! Speedball, if you switch speakers, you will get a major change as that is the #1 thing you can do to change the sound of your system. I hate to say this but in the reciever/amp issue it is all "it depends", but you must try them to see which one you like. Also, people will like different systems from each other...that throws a monkey wrench into everything........buy what you like and enjoy!