Vintage H/K integrated... what's it worth

Daddy Dee

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3284&item=5773502081&rd=1

Here's an Ebay item that looks interesting and one I hadn't run across before. Vintage H/K 6L6 amp. Looks like it could be pretty again. Anyone familiar with this. What's it worth?

Also, you might want to see the seller's other items. Lots of tube items from an estate sale.

Any help appreciated. As always, Thanks.

Dee

That'a a harman-kardon A-260 chorale. I owned one of these. It was a great little amp. Wish I still had it (I kept the faceplate and the one good output tranny.) I loaned it to a teenager friend of my sons about 10 years ago. He had it playing in the basement while he was upstairs. Either an output tube or an electrolytic went bad. It hummed loudly. By the time he got there the room was filled with smoke and the amp was dead. Took out the power and one output transformer. The dummy blew the fuse and used tin foil in it to keep playing it. Real waste! This is perhaps my favorite tube amp of all those I've owned (would have to compare it with some I've had since then.)

It's rated at 30 watts/channel. Fixed bias output. I have a Sams schematic and parts list for it.

Dave1.gif

----------------

On 5/11/2005 5:56:33 PM miamagsdad wrote:

How does this H/k compare to Fisher 500c?

----------------

I own a 500C and used to own the hk chorale. The hk was a nicer unit if you didn't need the tuner. It has nice iron on it and a very cleanly laid out circuit. However, it wasn't worlds better. The Fisher sounds fine, too. It (the hk) sounded even better when I converted it to EL-34's. I used it that way for three or four years.

Just as a side note, this hk is one of the few vintage amps to get the thumbs up form the infamous Joe Rosen from Audio Asylum. He hated Scott and Fisher vintage amps (but did say the 400/500 Fisher receivers were ok.)

Dave