one channel amp...good idea or not

rplace

Anyone out there know a thing or two about amps and why one channel would work and another not work? Is this an indication of bigger problems or is it likely that the one channel will continue to work, without issue, for some time?

The reason I ask is that I already have three of these:

Click Me to see TFM-25

Amps, and I really only need one more channel for my 7.1 set up. Sure I could track down another TFM-25 with two working channelsbut if this would fit the bill I would be all set.

Seller's listing is a bit odd too.

Pass on this or take a chance??? What do the pros out there think?

Thanks, Rich

Rich,

This amp may be repairable by Bob Carver's Sunfire Corp. Sunfire repairs most Carver related gear for flat fees and guarantees the work. Call Sunfire at 1-425-335-4748 for an estimate of cost.

Seller's use of US Post office money orders means that he is not afraid of mail fraud charges. He also knows how to properly disclaim implied warranties under the Uniform Commercial Code. I suspect that he is ok, but he warrants nothing about the amp.

The big question is what would the amp be worth after it is fixed. You need to make a net gain for all of the trouble.

Bill

PS: Send him an email to see if he warrants that the one channel works. B

Mr. M, Thanks for the tip on Sunfiregood idea to see what the cost would be especially if it is a flat fee.

I guess my real question is: If one channel is bad is that indicative that the other will go bad soon? I really only need one more channel of power, not two. I have three 2 channel amps currently (all TFM-25s) so this one channel working amp would give me the 7 I need for a 7.1 system. But I dont want to buy something that is problematic.

Get these for your mains, and rededicate one of your other amps to the center speaker.

http://marketplace.consumerreview.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.pl?db=Audio&website=AudioReview&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=11394&query=retrieval

Carver Silver Seven T's - Yeah Baby now we are talking.

Ahhh, Frzn. You surely know how to spend my money (khorns)9.gif

Those are the bees knees from Carver...but I subscrbe to the "I want all my channels to be the same" school. Not really sure why, but I remember my old pro logic days and hated having 225/100/225 in the front and 60 per in the back. Plus I think 4 2 channel amps stacked in the rack has a good wow factor as well.

Nice idea though, thanks!

Find me a TFM-25 in mint shape for less then 300...that is your assignment for the day.