Trying to talk myself into a new Powered Sub -- Help?

pdalton

Since ~1994, I've had an NHT SW2P Powered Sub as part of my HT System. (NHT SW2P's/MA-1's Specs below, if seeing them makes any difference).

I'm replacing the rest of my my old 5.1 system (LF/RF=Klipsch Kg3s, center=Klipsch KV3, surrounds=NHT HDP1s) with 5 of the Klipsch RSX-5s.

It seems to me that there is more than a small chance that subwoofer technology could have improved a bit since the SW2P & its amp were originally released 13 years ago (1992). In light of that possibility, I am faced with the choice of keeping the SW2P to "fill in the bottom" under the new RXS-5s or getting a new powered sub to do that work.

I suppose that I first am seeking advice about whether or not to make a change at all. While I've not had any problems with the SW2P in the past, I also know that I am used to it, so I may be missing something that I'm not at all aware of that should be there. Also, I recently have read that the SW2P really does not do as well for HT as for music -- and HT is 80%+ of how we use the system.

Assuming I do decide to make a change, I would appreciate any thoughts about the following replacement options for my ~16 x ~25 room:

1. One Klipsch RSW10

2. One Klipsch RW10

3. One Klipsch RW12

4. Two Klipsch RW10s

5. One Outlaw LFM-1 (just because I have heard/read so many good things about it).

Any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated.

- Paul

NHT SW2P:

10" woofer in vented enclosure.

Frequency response: 21Hz-350Hz, ±3dB direct in. ***

Sensitivity: 89dB (2.83V at 1m), 200W maximum.

Impedance: 8 ohms nominal, 6.2 ohms minimum.

Dimensions: 16" W by 16" H by 16" D.

Internal volume: 50 liters.

Weight: 40 lbs.

NHT MA-1 mono amplifier and electronic crossover:

Power rating: 80W into 8 ohms, continuous (19dBW); 120W into 4 ohms, dynamic (17.8dBW).

Dynamic headroom: 2dB.

Frequency response: 20Hz-20kHz, ±0.25dB.

THD: ±0.01%.

Slew rate: 30V/ms.

Measured output impedance: 0.09 ohms at 20Hz.

Measured input impedance: 22k ohms.

Measured maximum voltage gain into 8 ohms: 48.6dB.

Dimensions: 16" W by 3" H by 13" D.

Weight: 11 lbs.>

*** I have seen elsewhere that the SW2P really only goes down to 27Hz

Welcome to the forum. As a rule, if you use your system 80% for HT, you'll want a sub that can run to 20 Hz (and below) with ease. There is a lot of info that dips well below 20Hz on many of the new DVD's. Your center channel speaker and your sub will absolutely make or break your HT, so get the best one you can afford.

I would also consider the brand new Klipsch Sub-10 and Sub-12 as well as an SVS PB10-ISD. I'm probably going to get the Sub-12 for my rsx's in a week or two.

I ran an SVS PB12-ISD with my RSX-5's but I did not like the combination, for some reason I could never get em to blend very well for music, but for movies it was awesome! I definitely liked its low end capabilities, but in the end, I returned it. I honestly felt for its size and weight it did not carry the same slam as some of the Klipsch subwoofers. There was definitely a trade off.

The new Sub-12 edges out the RW-12 for sure SPL, but Im not sure how they compare in THD%. Check out the sub-10/12 for sure!

Guest Anonymous

Also, check out the HSU Research VTF-3 MK II, it can go very low and has plenty of horse power. (Only draw back is its size) FYI, I believe the Outlaw sub you referenced was designed by the owner of HSU.

I think the VTF-3 and VTF-2 go for about $600 and $500 respectively.

----------------

I ran an SVS PB12-ISD with my RSX-5's but I did not like the combination, for some reason I could never get em to blend very well for music, but for movies it was awesome! I definitely liked its low end capabilities, but in the end, I returned it. I honestly felt for its size and weight it did not carry the same slam as some of the Klipsch subwoofers. There was definitely a trade off.

----------------

That is strange. One of the things SVS subs tend to do best is blend in well with other speakers since they are very flat and subtle. Unless the RSX's roll off very high; they're really small. I would think they probably are good until 100 Hz which would make it difficult to match with a sub that works best down deep. The punchier, upper-frequency tendencies of the Klipsch subs would probably sound right in this case.

The RSX's are good still about 70 actually, but the svs crossover was like a freaking on/off switch. Nothing subtle about it. I needed more of a rolling crossover so it would hide the sub a bit.

Also, I did not like the svss temperament, either the amp was bad or the drivers voice coil was too sensitive to heat, but it would really function inconstantly depending on how much it was pushed. The harder I pushed it, the worse it would perform. If I gave it a little break 3 or 4 seconds, it would be ok again until another strong signal of bass input. For 650 bucks I was not impressed. Too much hype. When I save up some money, I will try my luck with the PB12+/2. I think that will have enough headroom for my needs. I will give svs another shot, but I will stay aaway from ISD anything.

Actually, I took a look at the specs and Klipsch says the RSX-5's are good to 92 +/-3. The PB12isd at that point has already started it's decline, so matching here would not be ideal.

----------------

On 5/20/2005 7:22:30 PM Blackmesa wrote:

Also, I did not like the svss temperament, either the amp was bad or the drivers voice coil was too sensitive to heat, but it would really function inconstantly depending on how much it was pushed. The harder I pushed it, the worse it would perform. If I gave it a little break 3 or 4 seconds, it would be ok again until another strong signal of bass input. For 650 bucks I was not impressed. Too much hype.

----------------

Honestly, you must have had a bad one. All loyalties aside, an SVS doesn't perform at all like you've mentioned. I did get a bad amp in my first SVS. It wasn't obvious for many months; it was quite subtle. They sent a replacement without even asking for the old one. Instantly it was the way it always should have sounded. I think you may have encountered the same situation. You should voice your concerns with the manufacturer.

So i guesss the new sub12 is pretty good, i think for my ht setup comming in about a month, i wanted to get the deal at bestbuy for 710$'s it is the Quintet 2's and a sub 12, i think that is a good deal, and the sub10 and quintets is in the 600's. Does anyone else haev the Quientets 2's and like them?